Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 12:16 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 105 Total Views

the terrible two's have definitely hit in our house.  my son is almost 28 months old and the problems just started a couple of weeks ago.  it seems like the more i try to keep him on a schedule, the further off schedule we get.  sometimes, he'll stay awake until 4 or 5 in the morning, and that's an improvement.  we've always had issues with him sleeping at night.  we try laying down with him, rocking him, letting him lay down by himself, going for a drive... you name it.  he's all of a sudden become very disrespectful.  he'll yell at me when he doesn't get his way, bite me, kick me, hit, and one of the worst things is spitting at people.  he won't eat right.  i just don't get it.  he gets plenty of attention.  i go to school, but he stays with my grandma, so he's still getting one on one attention from a family member.  all his doctor will tell me is "he'll eat when he's ready" and "just try to distract him with something when he starts acting like that".  i honestly can't figure out any other way to discipline him.  we have a reward chart at our house and he's really into putting stickers on his chart.  i've tried telling him i'm going to take one of his stickers when he acts bad, spanking, time out... nothing works.  he just laughs and does it again.  if anyone has any advise you could give me, it would be greatly appriciated.  i'm losing my mind here!

by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kelseyw3
by on Sep. 7, 2008 at 10:56 PM

That sounds overwhelming. I hate to say it, but he might be laughing because he doesn't take you serious. Here are some tips.

Food: sit him at  the table with a small plate of healthy food. Try fruits, they are sweet so kids usually like them. DO NOT give in and feed him anything else. He will eat when he gets hungry enough, it might take 1-2 days.

Behavior: kids need to be kept busy with productive activities. I'm a teacher and I know that kids act up when they are bored. Handpainting, drawing, play doh, legos, read to him, walks, play games with him, take him to the park, teach him the ABC's, etc...

Bedtime: Pick a time and stick to it. I had a hard time with my son, but it only took a week to break the bad habit. Have a routine: take a bath, put on pajamas, brush teeth, read him a book, and then put him to bed. It will be a difficult week so prepare not to sleep. The first 3 times he gets up, carry him back to bed and tell him to stay there. After that, take him back to bed but don't say anything to him. It might take all night, but eventually he'll fall asleep. After a few days he should stop fighting.

Good Luck!

sublime7713
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM

actually, we do all of these things.

Quoting kelseyw3:

That sounds overwhelming. I hate to say it, but he might be laughing because he doesn't take you serious. Here are some tips.

Food: sit him at  the table with a small plate of healthy food. Try fruits, they are sweet so kids usually like them. DO NOT give in and feed him anything else. He will eat when he gets hungry enough, it might take 1-2 days.

Behavior: kids need to be kept busy with productive activities. I'm a teacher and I know that kids act up when they are bored. Handpainting, drawing, play doh, legos, read to him, walks, play games with him, take him to the park, teach him the ABC's, etc...

Bedtime: Pick a time and stick to it. I had a hard time with my son, but it only took a week to break the bad habit. Have a routine: take a bath, put on pajamas, brush teeth, read him a book, and then put him to bed. It will be a difficult week so prepare not to sleep. The first 3 times he gets up, carry him back to bed and tell him to stay there. After that, take him back to bed but don't say anything to him. It might take all night, but eventually he'll fall asleep. After a few days he should stop fighting.

Good Luck!

HANNAH2002
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM

My advice is check his daily routine, is he getting a nap at grandma house is he sleeping too long?, is there no discipline, grandmas tend to spoil, what activity does he get is there other kids for him to play with?, you need to be on the same page as your mom, and it may be better to put him in a daycare/pre-school,  be consistent when he spits, hits and kicks etc, put him timeout immediately, with my dd she would slap me, and it took up to 2 hours to get her to sit in timeout, she would also laugh she was just trying to get my attention somehow, as mad and tired as i was  I would just ignore her I would only talk a few times and just ignore her not even giving her a facial expression,  it got better and better, its a fight. My dd would also fight sleep because she was overtired and want to be with mom and dad, this was so hard but I put a gate up at her door and she cried herself to sleep, it took hours at first but got better and better. In regard to him eating, the Dr right, but also make sure that he not snacking too much at grandma's or at home he probably has found that he can what he want if he refuses to eat, Hang in there it does get better when your consistent.

sublime7713
by on Sep. 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM

it's actually my grandma that he stays with.  she doesn't spoil him.  she treats him just like i do.  he gets in trouble when he does something wrong, he doesn't get to eat junk all day, she feeds him regular breakfast and lunch and a snack.  he's not just refusing meals... he just refuses to eat anything.    we'll have a day where he eats really good, then it'll be several days before he'll eat like that again.  the in between days, he just picks at his food.  daycare is not an option right now due to the fact that we only have one income while i'm in school and my husband makes too much for us to qualify for any assistance.  as far as his naps, there are days when he won't even take a nap.  yesterday, he didn't have a nap and was still up until 1:00 am.  when he does take a nap, the longest he'll sleep is an hour and a half.  we've been very consistant with our routine.  he wakes up at the same time every day, he eats at the same times, we try to get him to lay down for his nap at the same time every day (but he doesn't always go to sleep), he gets his bath at the same time every night, then we read a couple of books, and lay down.  sometimes though, i absolutely can not get him to go to sleep or eat. 

Quoting HANNAH2002:

My advice is check his daily routine, is he getting a nap at grandma house is he sleeping too long?, is there no discipline, grandmas tend to spoil, what activity does he get is there other kids for him to play with?, you need to be on the same page as your mom, and it may be better to put him in a daycare/pre-school,  be consistent when he spits, hits and kicks etc, put him timeout immediately, with my dd she would slap me, and it took up to 2 hours to get her to sit in timeout, she would also laugh she was just trying to get my attention somehow, as mad and tired as i was  I would just ignore her I would only talk a few times and just ignore her not even giving her a facial expression,  it got better and better, its a fight. My dd would also fight sleep because she was overtired and want to be with mom and dad, this was so hard but I put a gate up at her door and she cried herself to sleep, it took hours at first but got better and better. In regard to him eating, the Dr right, but also make sure that he not snacking too much at grandma's or at home he probably has found that he can what he want if he refuses to eat, Hang in there it does get better when your consistent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN