Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP ME!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

Hello. I am new to this group and I need help, bad! I am 7 months pregnant and my 28 month old is driving me insane!!!!

He wakes up most mornings crying, he wont even get out of his bed. He is just mad, at what i dont know. I go in his room to get him out and he starts screaming. Usually its because I am here at home and not daddy. He is a very big daddies boy. So then after he gets over that fit in the morning, we go throw the whole day with him just screaming at everything! Half the time I dont even know why he is mad. Sometimes he throws a fit b/c the toy hes playing with isnt doing what he wants it to do. Sometimes its over littlest things like me not letting him put the top on his sippy cup(god forbid i forgot!)....Anyway its just over everything.

He will throw himself in the floor and kick and stretch his body out and just SCREAM bloody murder. I try  to talk to him and he screams "NO" at me. Thats usually when i put him in his room to be alone. After awhile he will come out, but within 10 mins he is mad at something else. He has no patience at all!!!!! He is being very independent and wanting to do everything for himself right now too. I am just at my wits end right now. I am so stressed b/c literally all day long he is like this. From screaming when he wakes to screaming when he goes to sleep at night. He just started this really bad like 1 month ago.

I have tried spanking, talking calmly, yelling, time-out, ignoring it, but nothing works!! Is this just a normal 2 year old thing?? This is my first so i dont know! HELP ME!!!

by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LukesMommy836
by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Oh yea and he has also just gotten really bad about hitting. He was hitting me sometimes but I got him to stop that by hitting back, so now when he wants to hit me i just give him that evil eye and he walks away mumbling about something. lol.

But on thanksgiving he was hitting all his cousins, pulling hair.....what happened to my sweet baby?

DzineMama
by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but welcome to the terrible twos... I also feel your pain because I am right there with you. My DD hits, screams, is mad all day and went from sentences to just plain ole "NO". I have also tried everything... today I started to remove privileges like going to the park or her favorite toy and that has appeared to work. I have decided to make a chart w a list of her responsibilities, going potty, being polite, cleaning up her toys... etc... if by the end of the week she has more happy faces then sad ones she gets to go somewhere special. I know she is little but she is one sharp cookie and she understands quite a lot. I couldn't imagine having to deal w this being 7 months pregnant. I think you have to find out what his weakness is... LOL. That sounds bad, for my DD it's going to the park, that is her favorite thing in the world right now.

earth my body... water my blood... air my breath... fire my spirit...

beachbuick
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I am in your boat, which I am finding out is like a huge cruise ship.  Lots of parents are dealing with this. 

My husband moved us across the state for his job and then was transferred back, so I am dealing with what you are, except I teach 4th graders all day, and then deal with the screaming all night.  DD actually woke up twice last night, walked in my room and cried for her daddy :(  I tell her I miss him too.  That is the only validation to her crying attacks I give.  This evening she clung to me as I was shoving her into the bathtub.  I continued to ask what was wrong (I try not to ask why to avoid the "why" stage) she said, "I just don't like it".  To me that is not acceptable.  I ended up getting in the bathtub with her, turned on the shower so she would at least be rinsed off!  What a mess we were!  I often wonder if I should be committed.  That was only one of the "occasions" we had today.  This morning was no cup of tea getting out the door.

B/c we are contemplating a 2nd child, I continue to stick to my plan of waiting until she is 3 before I even get pregnant.  My mother is just in shock of her behaviors and my mother in law would let her roam ("she is a free spirit"). 

Hopefully you will find peace.  I have heard and read that many children either are difficult the first 6 months or the 2nd 6 months.  I have been dealing with this type of thing for about 8 months, so I am wondering how much longer.

Best wishes.  I hope the pregnancy is going well.

Cassie

a99n77d
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I am so glad to read that I'm not the only one dealing with this.  My DD is having these extreme breakdowns over the smallest things and it just seems like it's getting worse and worse. It's like she is an emotional wreck! 

Her potty training has also taken a turn for the worse. She was doing so well with it and now she just screams and cries when I try to get her to use the potty or try to put regular underwear on her. It's as if she has gone backwards with the potty training. It's to the point where I just stopped trying to train her.  

I also have a 4 month old DD and at first I was thinking that her behavior was due to jealousy over the new baby but now I'm not so sure that's it. She is such a daddy's girl that most of the time I can't do anything to console or calm her down. And lately it seems like he can't do anything to calm her either. She would hit, kick and throw her toys all over. It was to the point where I was considering going to a child therapist LOL I just feel like we are constantly walking on eggshells around her.

LukesMommy836
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I totally know what you mean! Ds is a huge daddies boy! He cries, "I want daddy" all the time! He screams for him a lot in the morning when he notices that daddies gone to work. But he'll also do it everytime he gets "in trouble" for something. Its irritating! Ds has lost all interest in the potty too and I have given up on even considering it right now. I think I will wait closer to the spring and see how it goes then.

I feel like I am walking on eggshells sometimes too. I know people say you should just ignore their fits, but i still try to avoid them at all cost. lol. When ds starts he doesnt stop! He can go for up to an hour! I cant just sit there and listen to it. It gets my blood pressure up and its not good! lol.

Quoting a99n77d:

I am so glad to read that I'm not the only one dealing with this.  My DD is having these extreme breakdowns over the smallest things and it just seems like it's getting worse and worse. It's like she is an emotional wreck! 

Her potty training has also taken a turn for the worse. She was doing so well with it and now she just screams and cries when I try to get her to use the potty or try to put regular underwear on her. It's as if she has gone backwards with the potty training. It's to the point where I just stopped trying to train her.  

I also have a 4 month old DD and at first I was thinking that her behavior was due to jealousy over the new baby but now I'm not so sure that's it. She is such a daddy's girl that most of the time I can't do anything to console or calm her down. And lately it seems like he can't do anything to calm her either. She would hit, kick and throw her toys all over. It was to the point where I was considering going to a child therapist LOL I just feel like we are constantly walking on eggshells around her.

crwspringer
by on Feb. 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM

if this is a common thing in your house, you might want to talk to your dr. about the potential of a sensory disorder.  We are going through evaluation right now.  The book Raising a Sensory Smart Toddler (i think) has been a tremendous amount of help in me figuring out what is going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)