Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

black cohosh to induce labor..

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 17520 Total Views

Okay so I went into early labor at 34wks and was put on procardia to stop the contractions and went on bed rest, also I am dilated to 2cm.

Now I am 36wks and off all meds and can get back to normal life. I am having contractions still so I am trying to induce labor. Has anyone tried raspberry leaf tea or black cohosh or even heard anything. I just wana see how long it takes to start working. Any one have any suggestions?

Babys head is down and Im dilated to 2cm and thin as hell. Im just ready now. I cant take the pain down there.

If u have anything bad to say about inducing labor please to comment, I really dont wana hear it, just need answer for my ?S.

Thank you,

Melissa

by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lovemysam
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:03 AM

i wouldn't recommend black cohosh. it does cause the uterus to contract but i hear more stories of it being used to induce miscarriages and not labor. if you can stand it, you could try to have sex. male semen has pitocin in it, which is what they give you at the hospital to speed up the labor process. walk ALOT, i recommend up and down steps to really get the motion going down there. my baby came early at 36 weeks, i went to the hospital and got sent home three times before my water finally broke.

JMmama
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Drink the raspberry leaf tea. I had luck with that with my daughter. It may or may not move your labor along, but it is REALLY good for your uterus and can help with an easier labor and recovery (continue to drink it after you deliver). Even if it doesn't send you into labor, it is really good for you and can't hurt, especially at 36 weeks.

Evening primrose oil is another one that was recommended by my midwife with my daughter. I took 2 caplets in the morning and two at night. I think they say 500mg in the morning and at night, so it would depend on the strength of the caplets how much you would take.

Do not try the black or blue cohash. Research is limited on the herbs but there are a couple studies that link them to heart failure in infants. It can also cause problems like blood clots for mama. Some people attempt to use them in early pregnancy to stimulate an abortion. There are some midwifes who use blue and black cohosh in their practices to induce labor, but they are typically trained herbalists. IMO, it's a bad idea to use these two herbs without supervision from someone who knows what they are doing.

Proud Mama to...

Mia Christine                  and                  Jayden Nelson

MegHPand3
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM

RRL tea won't induce labor. It is a uterine toner, so you should drink it, it will help your contrax be more productive when labor starts. Ive been drinking it since the beginning of the 2nd trimester, and have steadily increased to 2-3 cups per day.

Mrsp333
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM
The tea is used to strengthen your uterus.. not start Labor.

I tried blue and black cohosh. I guess they are supposta work better when combined.. It didnt work for me but I am going to try it again Just with bigger doses. Get the Liquid not the pills.

Ive tried castor oil twice (3oz)... and nothing but poo...

The most effective thing I have tried is nipple stimulation... it worked to start contractions.. but they soon faded...

lol good luck!
taylansmom
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I have never even heard of black cohosh what is it? sorry I can't help you with that one but I did use primrose oil with my son and it was great I combined it with walking and it worked. I also didn't have any ripping or tearing

preview image

Nataschay
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I have been dialated to 3 cm for 2 weeks, the l&D nurses told me to try bouncing lightly and rocking from side to side on a birthing ball (yoga/exercise ball). I have been doing this, I go back to the dr today, so we will see if it worked at all..wish me luck :)

kptmomof3
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM

weeeellllll.........I am not sure if its out of the question for you, but with my three other kids, this worked like a charm, SEX........there is something in sperm that cause you to go into labor and I swear, as soon as I hit 36 weeks, me and my ex had sex and maybe a few hours later, bam! I was in labor.......worth a shot lol....good luck tho!!

LadyJennifer
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Neither will help you go into labor any sooner - they just tone your uterus and get it ready for labor. RRL tea is great for the entire pregnancy, Black Cohosh is only recommended for the last 5 weeks or so. Next week I will start taking a supplement called 5W (for 5 weeks) that has Black Cohosh in it. It is simply to prepare for labor.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Pregnancy ticker

LuvmyFam6
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I have read about the black cohosh..I will be 37 weeks on Saturday and still not dialated so since I had read that midwifes recommend it to their patients I thought I give it a shot.  I went to health food store yesterday and purchased it.  The recommended dose for pregnant women is 5 drops on 8 oz of tea or water 2 times a day for a week and not to be used prior to 37 weeks.  So I did it yesterday and went home and started looking more into the herb, I got a little freaked out just because it seems like this stuff is potent and can harm the baby so I decided to just take it yesterday and stop today until my next visit at the doctor next week.  If there isn't a hint still of dialation then i will ask my doctor if it is safe for me to take it.  It doesn't taste great and just what I read about it scared me.  I've been having contractions too but I think you should speak to your doctor first, I am going to.  I've been walking and making my husband work overtime (lol) and still no luck but I rather wait then put something in my body that can potentially hurt the baby. 

shrugging

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)