Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr wants to induce...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 550 Total Views

I'm 38 weeks (39 on Tuesday) and at my last Dr. appointment he said he wants to induce next Thursday. Not because anything is wrong, but simply because he prefers it not catch us by surprise and I be well rested. It seems strange to me as I'm 27, in great health, and haven't even been super uncomfortable... I've still got 10 days till my due date! Isn't it better for me to let labor happen on it's own? I'm terrified of the pain already - and I've heard awful things about pitocin (sp...). Thoughts?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I am being induced on Tuesday. I was induced for my last one too. I opted to get an epidural the last one just because with pitocin you tend to hit some hard contractions right off. I am okay with being induced this time around just because I am super uncomfortable. Contractions are painful regardless of induction or natural. It is a given. lol...but it is worth it and they have pain meds available. Good luck to you!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:36 PM

It's a personal choice. I'm not sure what I would do... probably just wait. You just need to let him know what you want to do and stick with your guns.

Pregnancy ticker
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM

With my first son, my doctor said he was willing to induce me a few days before my due date. I had read that inductions raise the chances of having a c-section so I told him I'd wait a ittle longer. I ended up going into labor on my own two days after my due date. Actually, I did end up with a c-section anyways since my baby was breech...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Of course it's better for you to let labor happen on it's own!  I think it's terrible that dr's are suggesting medical interventions simply for convenience... medical inductions greatly increase the intensity of contractions, often making them unbearable. It's is shown to cause great stress not only to you but also on the baby, leading to heart rate decel's and, of course, increasing your chance of having a c-section!

Even if you schedule the induction for a later date, you dont HAVE to show up if you change your mind. 

You need to do what you feel is right for your body and the baby!  :)  I hope your dr doesn't continue to press the issue if you tell him that you're not interested.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Tickerhaving a baby

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Some doctors are more into inducing than others, and also depends on the attitude at the hospital. When I took my birthing class they said 80% of births were induced. I couldn't believe it. I was shooting for a natural birth with my first, but ended up being induced, but I was about a week past my due date, my fluid measurements had been low, and Thanksgiving was coming up (yes, it was annoying that that was an issue). When I went in to be induced and they put the monitor on, I was already have regular contractions that I couldn't feel, so I don't think it would have been much longer if we'd waited. I put off pain medication for awhile, but I wasn't dilating very fast so my OB recommended an epidural so I could relax and by that time it was very welcome relief. This time my OB offered to induce me a week ahead of my due date if I want it since I pushed for a long time with the first and she's going out of town for a few days right before my due date, but I'm not taking up the offer. You might want  to talk to your doctor to see if he'd be willing to at least wait until your due date because the reasons don't sound very medical, but if you can't convince him don't obsess over it. Soon you will have a wonderful baby!

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I was induced at 38 weeks, I was so glad. i was ready to see my baby, I knew he would be healthy and i was done with pregnancy, lol. They used pitocin for me. The started it slowly at 6 pm, at 1:30 am my water broke on its own. I got an epidural (Wonderful) and had the baby at 6:22 am. I wouldn't have done it any other way! This is just my story, good luck!

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I would personally wait till at least your due date. It seems that that's what you want, and you should let your doctor know and he should respect your decision. I don't agree at all w/inductions for convenience. And i know of too many women who have been induced and ended up getting a c-section, which i am terrified about. Especially when i have a toddler, i can't imagine how hard it would all be: taking care of a newborn, while recouperating(i hear it's painfull) and also taking care of a toddler.

DD was born 2 days past her due date, and this time around i'm a day from my due date and if he's not here by next week my doc. wants to induce me. I'm 2 cm. dialated and hoping he'll come on his own. Under those circumstances if the baby is distressed etc. past his due date, i would have to agree w/my doc. But if you're healthy and so is baby, you should definately wait till at least your due date.

Good luck! hope everything works out for the best

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Because so many women prefer to have a scheduled induction so they can plan for baby's big arrival, the doctor may just assume you want that too. If you don't, talk to him.

Proud Mama to...

Mia Christine                  and                  Jayden Nelson

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Due dates can be off by weeks. A normal pregnancy can go up to 42 weeks, that is totally normal and fine. It is wrong for doctors to want to do an unnecessary intervention. Remember that every intervention will put you more at risk for a c section. Your baby stays in every day for a reason, and will come when ready. It is definitely safer for you to wait until your due date to even consider an induction. Pitocin also makes STRONG contractions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)