Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rosh Hashana

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

What are your favorite traditions/recipes that you look forward to on Rosh Hashana?

I love to bake honey cake.

I also have fun finding new sweet and/or round things to make for dinner.

We talk about character, we make lists of good character and bad character traits.  How we can avoid developing the bad stuff.  We try to identify a good character trait we would like to develop in the coming year.

We talk about the importance of forgiveness and what it means.  We talk about charity/tzedakah and how even if it seems we have very little to give, we have more than some and it is our duty to share.

"Who can protest and does not is an accomplice in the act" Talmud

My disability is invisible....what's your excuse?  http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/

Daisypath Vacation tickers
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tzelvy
by Member on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Sounds fun at your  house! It's awful but the first thing that comes to my mind about Rosh Hashanah is getting agitated for having to take time off work. I teach and only get 10 days (sick and personal) a year. It irks me that my holidays aren't more recognized. I started at a new school this year and had to fill out a form to take off. My principal asked what Rosh Hashanah was so I emailed him back what I thought to be a funny but informative anecdote. Here's his reply, "It is interesting the holidays that the Jewish people celebrate. Have fun." Annoying.

Okay, vent and rant over, thanks! :D

MrsDavid
by Member on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Quoting tzelvy:

Sounds fun at your  house! It's awful but the first thing that comes to my mind about Rosh Hashanah is getting agitated for having to take time off work. I teach and only get 10 days (sick and personal) a year. It irks me that my holidays aren't more recognized. I started at a new school this year and had to fill out a form to take off. My principal asked what Rosh Hashanah was so I emailed him back what I thought to be a funny but informative anecdote. Here's his reply, "It is interesting the holidays that the Jewish people celebrate. Have fun." Annoying.

Okay, vent and rant over, thanks! :D

I once worked for a Jewish man who gave me a hard time for asking to come in an hour early so I could leave an hour early to be home ONE night during the winter in time to light the candles (during the winter because of my commute I was always home after sundown).  He also made sure I knew clearly that it was an imposition and when I asked for one day during Passover he about had a meltdown.

So...vent away!

"Who can protest and does not is an accomplice in the act" Talmud

My disability is invisible....what's your excuse?  http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/

Daisypath Vacation tickers
tzelvy
by Member on Aug. 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Thanks! I don't need to vent often but sometimes I just don't feel like being the Jewish spokesperson you know? I live in a town that has Jewish people, but most don't practice. With my boys getting older I also have some anxiety about that same issue. I love where we live but don't love the lack of Jewish community and identity. I'm not the most faith involved by any means, but often I feel like my family is the token Jewish family around. Sigh!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN