Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please share your experiences

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:05 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 206 Total Views
Hi, I am new here and need to make a decision about school for my kindergartener. Have to register on Thursday!  I would like to know anyone's thoughts on choosing a catholic school, or a public school, and why?

I am a lapsed catholic. But I have been going to mass and joined an RCIA class since January. I want my son to learn about God and have good moral behavior. Also the Catholic school has higher scores overall on statewide testing for math and reading. The tuition is not too expensive.

My son been in daycare and preschool, but not had any religious education. Although we do pray before meals. I am a little worried that he won't know what the other children know, may feel out of place. Please share your experiences good or not so good.

here is an update:
First, many thanks to those who have already replied. Second, I realized this could turn into a "hot topic" and I don't want to start a debate, just gather honest opinions and experiences. So, if anyone wants to PM me with your story that might be better. Thanks again
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jenncrealtor
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:51 AM
It is never too late to start.  I would say that it is better he be "new" at the subject now rather than later.  At this age, he will catch on so quick no one will notice. 

I chose my daughter's school for a few different reasons. 

1.  I am catholic, however my husband is not, so we compromise and she attends a lutheran church and school. 

2.  The school has the best scores and curriculum in town.  And has the smallest class size. 

3.  I went to the school and i turned out fine (my parents were in the same boat as we were at with one being catholic and the other not)

4.  We did not look at tuition until we decided on our first choice of schools and here is why.  We decided that price would not be the only factor.  And if we looked at the price tag it might influence our decision.  We decided that if we chose a school and it was too pricey, we would then decide if we should go with our second choice or make more sacrafices.  Luckily for us we did not need to do that. 

That being said, do what is best for your children and make sure to include prayer and ask for God's guidance. 
thriftymom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:58 AM
I was very active in my daughters public school, and I just didn't like what I was seeing, there was so much wasted time, foul language, and bad behavior...so I switched my daughter to Catholic school and it has been amazing, the children have manners and respect for others, the classroom is always busy, no wasted time, all kids are kind to one another, small classes, and after 1 year I asked my daughter if she wanted to go back to public school or stay at Catholic school, and she said she wanted to stay at Catholic school because she was learning so much more, and the kids aren't allowed to bully other kids. I highly recommend Catholic School.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)