Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Livid repeated in case you read in another group

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

Thankfully I have a great credit card that is really alert for credit card fraud. It looks like my card was compromised yet again. This was again a web company that was for construction items. A total of $1,900.00 The alert came minutes from when the charges were made and were not paid out. Of course now I will get another card but I am annoyed because now I am going to have to check and see where I purchased that it might have been compromised. What is good is that I was told of a feature that this card has that I didn't know I had. I can purchase through a safe sale feature which gives me a one time number to enter when purchasing online. Ladies if you don't have a good alert system on your cards watch your transactions online carefully. That is another thing I plan to do. I am going to be checking my cc online on a daily basis from now on. 

LuciP

by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
isaiahtabatha
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM

How annoying!!!  I'm so sorry.    I hope it doesn't  take too long to clear up this latest mess.
We have a great credit card alert system.  If we haven't used a card in awhile and then use it, we get a call making sure it was really us using it. 
DH checks constantly to make sure.

LuciP
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Thanks. It was cleared up the minute I called. They wouldnt' process the charges without my go ahead. I will receive a new card in a few days with new numbers. Just annoying not knowing where it was compromised. I hate this crap. Use your brains for something productive instead of creating headaches for honest people is what I'd like to tell them. Bunch of useless cockroaches.sheesh...

Nanaleena
by Dar - Owner on Jan. 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I saw the post in another group but am glad you posted in other groups also.  It is really sad that people don't use their brains for something constructive.  Sad thing is it isn't only online.  You can go into a store and have your information stolen.  There was a case with Aldi's not too long ago where someone supposedly tampered with the machine you swipe your card and got a lot of numbers.  That to me sounds like an inside job but of course all they say is that is taken care of.  Never  heard any more about it.  Thankfully I wasn't at Aldis during that time period and I have my account set up that if the funds aren't there the transaction will not go through.  Personally, I think all online purchases should require the 3 digit security code on the back of the card.

www.cafemom.com/group/89003

GROUP  OWNER

LuciP
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I will be doing the safe sale feature that the representative advised me about online and I am just going to use cash from now at home. The only time I really use my CC is with crafts or when I go to Florida since I hate carrying a lot of cash. From now on I will get one of those pre-paid cards for that. Really I feel it more then likely was an online purchase but whose to say it wasn't a charge from way back when that someone held onto or sold the number that occurred a long time ago. The red flag for me is that it is a web based charge like the last time for construction materials. I'm wondering if someone is setting up dummy construction websites and using CC to get into a bogus business. The CC rep said they can't find that out which is disconcerting but I wasn't charged and I will get a new card since they automatically canceled this one. That is why you know they have to be pretty smart to steal in this way and it is such a waste of brains.  

Nanaleena
by Dar - Owner on Jan. 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Luci, can you share the safe sale feature with us?  I know many of us purchase online.

LuciP
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM

The credit card is a Bank of America card and the customer service rep told me to go on their website and pick the safe sale feature. That will put the charge on my card but with a temporary CC # and code. It is only the value of what you purchase that one time. It is more work since you can't store your numbers on a website but I rather be safe then fast now. I'm going to be deleting all my other accounts that I have my cc already stored in. Since I only have one more to pay off I'll just close the other accounts and get new numbers. The only reason I am doing that is because one is a travel CC and I get miles with that one. Plus if I only use it for travel I'll know that it can't be compromised.

Quoting Nanaleena:

Luci, can you share the safe sale feature with us?  I know many of us purchase online.

Nanaleena
by Dar - Owner on Jan. 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I use my debit card online and when the transaction is finished I go back in and remove the card information.  Most sites offer this.  I would rather redo the card info each time rather than leave it there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)