Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering u/c

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

Hi, I am new to this group and am considering a u/C because i am doubtful i will find a midwive who will be supportive of my vbac after 4 C/s.

I have no faith or trust in hospitals and care givers because i have been lied to and coerced in my other pregnancies and births and ended up very traumatised and cheated after every one of my births and pregnancies.

So far i have mostly managed to avoid the hospital where i am currently living and one the the two occasions i have been theer for a early scan was met with me geeting harrased over tests i did not want.

I have been now threatened if i don't have these routine tests i will be reported to child protection, so  i am complaing to the hospital manager about this.

I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and can't belive that they have got to me already and theerfore i am left wondering how on earth i can out any trust in these people at all.

Karen

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
doulala
by New Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that!  :-(      I wish women could come to UC because it's their favorite option, not because it's basically their only option! 

We've put birth in the same category with illness and disease and it's never belonged there. Birth is naturally safe, but we've allowed it to be taken over by the medical community.

~Carla Hartley, founder of Trust Birth and the Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

Treating normal labors as though they were complicated can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. ~Rooks

If you lay down, the baby will never come out! ~ Native American saying

vanillaeclare
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I am so sorry to hear that! Luckily I am healthy and have no previous C-sections, so I don't have to deal with all the red tape you do. I am planning a homebirth with a midwife, although UC is very interesting to me, I can't seem to get my husband on board for this pregnancy.

Anyway, it sounds like it's actually safer for you to birth vaginally than have another C-section. I'm not sure what these tests are that they want to run, but it's probably all to cover their asses.

Isn't there ANY midwife that would take you on? What exactly are your issues besides repeat sections? It seems like there must be SOMEONE who would take you and treat you semi-normally and give you the option of a VBAC. Have you tried a birth center?

It seems to me that midwives shouldn't risk you out unless you've got placenta previa or pre-e. Pre-e can be avoided and with previa you just have no choice - c-section it is.

Best of luck to you. If you give me more info maybe I can help more.

pregnancy calendar
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
CNLueck
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:22 AM

It is ridiculous that they are claiming they have reason to report you to CPS. What about women who get abortions, purposefully killing their babies? If you have had one, I'm sorry to hear that.

On another note, more problems occur in hospitals than at home especially after c-sec. In a hospital, after 4 c-secs, you are gaurenteed another.

Midwives say that it is much safer to have a VBAC at any time and that with each c-sec, your chance of complications with the next c-sec arises.

My UC was wonderful. If you have any complications during labor & delivery (unlikely), then call 911 and they will be there for the emergency. You can also have friends, or family there to help you and have a supportive doctor or midwife on stand by, just in case. You could also tell your doctor that "labor progressed too fast and you were already pushing before you could gather your things to leave for the hospital and be transported afterwards (but I don't reccomend the latter). These are just several options. Hospital is definitely not the only way.

: )

AllCosyInside
by on May. 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM

See what independent midwives there are in your area! Some will travel quite far too to support women who otherwise would feel the need to compromise on what they want and need.
http://www.independentmidwives.org.uk/

I had an independent midwife with my fourth baby and she would certainly have supported me if I were VBAC, as research is in both her and my favour. NHS midwives are bound by the policies of their local NHS trust OR are plain scared (through closetted experience) from stepping outside accepted boundaries (eventhoough, ironically, these boundaries are often putting women and babies in danger or positions of neglect!). An independent midwife is free of all that rubbish BUT she still has legal access to everything a hospital can provide if needed or desired (like scans and tests and emergency care and so on...) So see if you can have an independent midwife. You don't get the 'little hospital at home' thing going on with them either!

Satnd your ground. YOu have the right to birth how and where you want. The social services thing is plain crap [pardon me. But that kind of treatment makes me mad]
This might help you argue with them if necessary (sorry if you know all this already): http://www.homebirth.org.uk/
Good luck!!!!

AmandaI1021
by Member on Jul. 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I think I read that with each additional c-section there is a higher risk of hemorraging. I would avoid that hospital like the plague and find someone who will listen to the expert: YOU! It's your body and your baby and you will do the best you can.
I second the person who said that it's okay to have an abortion but not to avoid testing. That annoys me for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)