Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

♥Whoops! I really goofed! Ruined my chicken! How long are you Supposed to cook chicken in a crock pot?♥

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

Boy, did I make a mess!  I had about 4 pounds of chicken quarters, and I cooked them at high for 4 hours and low for 1 hour...And it was not a pretty sight!  LOL

The chicken was in tiny pieces, and so were the bones!  Completely inedible, soupy, droopy, spikey mess!

I love using my crock pot---but how long are you supposed to cook chicken--and at what temperature?

Thank you for your help!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Ouch, sorry this happend. Were you following a recipe ? what else did you add to the crock pot besides the chicken ? What were you trying to prepare ? When it comes to how long and on what tempertaure to cook the chicken it really depends on the meal you are making and the quantity. 

Chicken Crockpot Stew Recipe

• 12 x chicken leg quarters skinned
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 4 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 4 x ( Salt to taste)
  • 4 x ( Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste)
  • 12 med potatoes cubed
  • 8 med onions cubed
  • 4 cups frzn corn thawed
  • 4 x (1 can tomato sauce - (8 oz))
  • 4 pkt dry onion soup mix

The ingredients have been scaled to 4 servings. These directions are for 1 servings.
  1. Cut up leg quarters. Mix mushroom soup with water in crockpot. Add in chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour on HIGH, then add in all remaining ingredients and cook on LOW for 8 hrs or possibly 4 hrs on HIGH. Serve warm with crackers.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Here is something I found, I hope it helps.

A Chicken in Every (Crock) Pot

By , Guide

Crockpot Chicken Supreme

Crockpot Chicken Supreme

Linda Larsen
Sponsored Links

Columbus Coupons1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. It's like doing C-bus at 90% off!

Chicken Crock Pot RecipesBrowse chicken crock pot recipes. Recipes ready in under 30

recipes for slow cookerGet your free & new recipe ideas from Red Gold

The crockpot is probably the best time saver in the kitchen today. You can throw in a few ingredients, turn it on, leave the house all day, and come home to a home filled with incredible scents and a complete hot dinner waiting for you. And almost everyone loves chicken, so these crockpot recipes will be a hit.

There are some tips for cooking chicken in the crockpot. You'll find that many crockpot recipes that cook for 8-10 hours will call for chicken thighs or legs. Chicken breast meat can become mushy and soft when cooked for longer than 6 hours on low. Using boneless chicken thighs will not only solve this problem, but this cut of meat is cheaper than chicken breasts and has a richer flavor. However, if your family prefers white meat, just make sure to cook for a shorter period of time and everything should turn out perfectly. Vegetables in these recipe should go into the bottom of the crockpot, with the meat on top. This arrangement will also help prevent the chicken from overcooking. If you choose to leave the skin on your chicken, brown it first in a skillet in olive oil to help improve the appearance of the finished dish.

For hints and tips about using your crockpot to its fullest capacity, see Crockpot Lessons.

by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 1:17 AM

These are some great resources!  Thank you so much!

You've given me the courage to try again! 

by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:01 AM

love you sign You can do it !

by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I am in "Like" with America's Test Kitchen on Facebook and they just released a new slow-cooking cookbook. To promote it, they've been posting tips and recipes all week.

Their tip was that you shouldn't cook chicken more than 5-6 hours on low or it gets tough and stringy.  Having said that, I think it depends on what kind of chicken you are cooking.

I cook whole roasting chickens in the crock all day. But yesterday I followed their tip and made chicken chili and cooked the chicken for 5-6 hours, took it out and shredded it while hot, then returned it to the crock about an hour before dinner to reheat the meat. It was delicious!

by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I've cooked both a whole chicken and chicken legs in the crockpot.  I typically use 2 cups of chicken broth and/or water or soy sauce and vinegar.  Either way, once the 5-6 hours are up, it just goes to warm and is good until I get home.

But I've had a few disasters...take know what not to do next time.  :-)

by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Thanks for the input and advice, Ladies!  All advice I will take to heart!♥

Orkut Scraps - Thank You

by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Im sure the next go around will be better.Lot of smart ladies in this group.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)