Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

D.I.Y wedding ideas??????

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 301 Total Views
If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Any projects or money saving tips. Anything. We have been together 11 years and were planning before I got pregnant first time. Since then we havent had the money. We are going through with it now anyway so since he is only one working I am trying to make as much as I can. He doesnt want to do a wedding at all because we cant really afford it but i want to have something. Im not too creative but know I can do this with some help. So.....any ideas???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
crickettty
by Group Owner on Oct. 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I would keep the ceremony short and not over the top. I would go to the Justice of the Peace or have a simple ceremony at a beautiful church you don't need to  decorate. Invite who you want to the ceremony and then invite everyone to celebrate with you in a big reception.

You can do your own centerpeices and table clothes. The two colors for your wedding can be the table clothes. If the tables are round use a round table cloth and then find a smaller square one in your other wedding color and put it over the other table cloth. Then put your own center peices in the middle too.

Also you can make your own bridal bouquet. here's how.

How to Make your own bridal bouquet

How to Make Your Own Bridal Bouquets

View DIY Bridal Bouquet Video

A simple single-flower arrangement is not difficult to make, and the classic dome shape of this round bouquet complements most wedding gowns. Be sure to stick to hardier flowers like roses, which are easier to arrange and can endure a little manhandling. You may also use silk flowers to make your bridal bouquet if you wish.  To make a bridal bouquet about 8 inches in diameter, just follow the instructions below. This bouquet takes between 30 and 60 minutes to construct, and about 30 to 60 stems.

Things You Need 

• 30 to 60 stems of a hardy flower like the rose (20 to 40 for each bridesmaid bouquet)
  • Bucket
  • Paper towels
  • Ribbon (in a complementary color), 1 to 2 inches wide Rubber bands or green waxed floral tape
  • Stem cutter or very sharp knife
  • Stem stripper
  • Straight pins or pearl-tipped corsage pins

STEP 1: Preparing the Flowers
Use your hands or a stem stripper to remove excess foliage and thorns, and pull off damaged or unattractive outer petals. Fill a sink or bucket with water, and holding the stems underwater use the stem cutter or knife to cut the stems at an angle about 2 inches from the bottom. Allow the flowers to drink for a few seconds with the stem ends underwater, then place the stems in a bucket filled halfway with cool water until you are ready to use them. Note: If you're working with roses and the heads aren't open yet, you can force the blooms open by placing the stems in a bucket of hot water; but only do this for a couple of minutes just before you are going to use the roses, or you might kill them otherwise. Keep the stems long while you work with them and trim them to a shorter length when you've finished constructing the bouquet.

STEP 2: Assembling the Bouquet
Take one stem at a time with one hand, and use your other hand to hold the flowers in place. Assemble four flowers at an even height in a square shape -- these will be at the center of the dome. Arrange the other flowers one by one around the center flowers to create a dome shape. Note: To better see what the bouquet will look like in your hand, stand in front of a mirror as you construct the bouquet to observe how the shape is progressing.

STEP 3: Securing the Bouquet

Use a rubber band or floral tape to bind the stems at the spot where they naturally join (about 3 to 4 inches below the flower heads). Repeat the binding toward the end of the stems, leaving about 2 inches of excess stem beneath the bind to trim later. Either place the stems in water and wrap them later or continue to Step 4.

STEP 4: Complete the Handle

Cut the stem ends so they are all the same length, about 7 to 8 inches long. Dry off the stems with a paper towel. Cut a length of ribbon about three times as long as the length of the stems. Tuck the end of the ribbon inside the top bind and start wrapping in a spiral down the length of the stem. When you reach the bottom, wrap in a spiral back up the stem. At the top, tuck the cut end of the ribbon underneath and secure with a couple of pins pushed through the ribbon and into the stems. If you'd like a bow, cut a separate length of ribbon and tie it just beneath the flower heads.

STEP 5: Preserving the Bouquet

Wrap the bouquet in tissue. Store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to leave for the ceremony. For ultimate freshness, it's best to make the bouquet the morning of the wedding. Once the bouquet is constructed, keep the bare stems in water as long as you can and mist the heads well. Then when you're ready, wrap the stems. 

2004MAMA715
by Member on Oct. 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM
Thank you. Great ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kicknsassie
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM

We did our own wedding.

Rented a hall at the local ELKS club (basically put a deposit on it, which we got back in full, we cleaned the room before the ceremony and after), had different friends volunteer to help us out as their presents to us (a friend DJ for us, another friend did flowers, another friend coordinated everyone, yet another friend took photos - which we paid to develop) 

We had a buffet potluck for a meal - our mothers both cooked the meat - one turkey, one ham - we bought a cake and rolls from Costco and supplied all the paper products and asked friends to bring a dish to share.  I did the invitations on the computer (complete with a poem that hubby had written that was special to us).

Each of my bridesmaids bought their own gowns, but we made sure to pick ones that they would wear again - and they did - the guys rented their tuxes, but we would've been ok with just a suit or something dressy for them.  Hubby wore his Navy dress uniform and I wore my mother's wedding dress.

For ours, the most expensive part of the whole thing was buying the airline tickets to fly hubby and his groomsman in for the ceremony.

We did have to pay for the JP, but that was easy and inexpensive. 

Just start asking friends if they'd be willing to help you out with something they're good at.  You may be surprised at how many people are willing and able to help out with something as special as a wedding!

Good luck!

2004MAMA715
by Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM
More great ideas. Thank you. My father wants to cook the food. I just didnt know what to make. Ham and turkey would be perfect. Im wearing my moms dress. Still trying to figure the rest out though. Thanks again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kicknsassie
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Sounds like you have a good start there...if your dad is willing to cook and you have a dress. 

Just keep it simple and stick to stuff that you guys like.  It's not necessary to have a big expensive wedding if that's not what you can afford, or if it's just not your style, but just do something that you like, can afford, and will remember. 

Instead of a DJ, just set out a stereo or iPod dock and let the music run.  Have a potluck dinner or just a lot of appetizers.  Don't worry about serving alcohol - just have something for you and hubby to toast with.  Don't stress about a big cake.  Order a nice sheet cake from Costco/BJs/Sams/grocery store and ask them to decorate it all white.  Get a bouquet of flowers from the grocery store and just tie a ribbon around them.  Even one single rose is a perfect bouquet if you tie a nice ribbon around it.  Design and print out invitations yourself - hand deliver them to save postage if possible.  There's all sorts of freebie programs online now that will help you with the design.

Ask friends if they can help out with something.  Perhaps someone is good with taking photos, or tying bows or even designing invitations or decorating cakes.  I would guess that if you ask, your friends and family would love to help you guys have a special day.

Whatever you do, just remember, this is about you and hubby...and you want to share the experience with your friends and familiy.  Make it your own!

2004MAMA715
by Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Thank you again. I was started to get discouraged. I kept looking at how much everything would cost and started thinking we might not be able to do it afterall. Thank you soooo much. You have given me great ideas and Im looking forward to it again!!!! Talked to my Aunt who is really into crafts and we are going to just have a decorated vase with a few flowers as centerpieces. Found invitations at thrift store, thinking of sprucing them up a bit. Going with the turkey and ham for starters on food. Future hubby may be able to get a dj, good friend of his used to dj. He has to check see if he still has stuff to do it. Found out they have dresses for flower girls at a second hand store (her parents unemployed right now so we are buying those as well). Been extremely busy but starting to come together. Thank you again for getting me excited again. I think only main things left are favors and the biggest of all is a reception site we can afford and know we will be dry in case of rain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kicknsassie
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Reception sites - check out your local fire stations, or community centers, or if you have any family or friends that are members in an organization like the ELKS, or MOOSE, or Shrine, or VFW, etc.  Otherwise, depending on the time of year, maybe a nice park area with a covered picnic area, or a backyard/garage area could work if you can put in some time cleaning and decorating too.

The invitations - take the ones you found and just doctor them up a little - a bit of glitter pen, or some glue on pearls or rhinestones or a bit of ribbon will do wonders.  Show them to your friend that loves to craft and ask her for ideas...I bet she'll be able to think of something to help out there.

The dresses - nothing wrong with used dresses - all you have to do is wash them and make sure there's no visible stains or rips...if there are, get out a needle and thread and make it work!   No reason you can't do hair and makeup yourselves...that may be something else that a friend is good at and can help with too.

Ok, and here's an idea for favors....

if you go to Bakerella.com and look around, she makes cake pops.  She gives directions on how to make them on her blog, or she also just came out with a cookbook on the cake pops too (it's only about $10 to get from Amazon.com I believe).  They are really easy to make and can be as fancy as you can do.  I have a friend here that's making those to use as favors at her wedding.  They can be made up in advance and kept refrigerated (I suspect you could even freeze them if you need to).  That might be a good idea for favors for you too. 

If you go with something like that for favors, just print out a cute tag to attach to each with your names and the date or something like that.  Easy to do and would be classy.

If you want any more info, please feel free to PM me....I'm happy to help if I can!

2004MAMA715
by Member on Oct. 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I think I have enough to work with for right now. Thank you so much though. You have no idea how much help you have been. thank you Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)