Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep medication for a 3yo

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

My 3 yo son with autism has never been a great sleeper.  A few months ago, we started giving him melatonin at night and it has been great helping him fall asleep faster.  We actually increased the dose after his Aug appt with the autism team, but it still is not keeping him asleep at night.  We have avvery strict bedtime of between 7:30-8pm and wake up time between 6:30-7am.  Nap is the same every day (1 hr about 12:30pm) and meals are the same times every day (mostly because he gets so upset if this routine is mixed up).  He will wake up in middle of night for 2-3 hours and then fall back asleep for 1-2 hours before it is wake up time.  Do you think he is too young to start on a medication for sleep?  He seems to need his nap still, so I really don't want to end that right now.  On average, he will sleep 7-8 straight hours at night only one time per week.  His aggression with his little sister and his behaviors in general are increasing and I wonder if some of it is because he is sleep deprived.

HELP!  Any feedback that will help me is appreciated!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
srhumpherys
by Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM

My Olivia is 3 years old (just turned 3 in early August) and she has been on prescription sleep medication for over a year now. Olivia also has a seizure disorder (partial complex seizures) and she is medicated for those as well. We use melatonin along with her prescription medication because it is great at getting her to sleep, but it just will not keep her asleep. She was going days with only an hour or two of sleep, which caused her verbal abilities to tank and she was crying all the time for being so tired. She has been on many sleep aids, most recently ambien. She is now on a combo of melatonin and 3 other sleep aids. She still wakes up in the middle of the night and has to be remedicated (by only 2 meds) to get a full nights sleep. 

In my personal opinion, sleep is SO important to their growing bodies. You have to look at the pros and cons of medicating for sleep. I research each medication myself and make a decision if it is a good idea or not. 

HTH! :) 

Sarah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)