Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IS AUTISM ON THE RISE?? UPDATE!

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM
  • 34 Replies
  • 2037 Total Views

Hey Mom's, we have 195 new members since the 1st of October,18 days, only a little over 2 Weeks, very scary numbers. I was so hoping the Autism Epidemic would slow down, I am afraid we haven't seen nothing yet. Please share your stories here. How did you first know? Was your Child born with ASD? Let's all share our stories to better help our "New Moms"!

I want to thank each & every one of you Great Members for such an outstanding group, you are always there for one another.

Rita, Group Owner

jigsaw ribbon We Will Never Stop Fighting the Good Fight for our Children!! GO MOM'S!!

Our Group today is number 223 out of the 250 most popular!!!
Oct. 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM
223. Parenting Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder

Talk to other parents of children with autism spectrum disorder.

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charwoman
by Member on Oct. 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM

"Hey" Rita and "Hey" to all the new Mom's out there!  Wow.  I don't go on any other chat things like this but I'll take your word for it that 120 in 2 months is a really big number.  Its great that new people are checking out such a wonderful group but bum on the possible implication (autism on the rise? didn't somebody just post that the new dx are up from 1-in-150 to 1-in-98, or something close?)  Our story: my 5 yr old was dx at age 2.  He is still concidered non-verbal but improves everyday, with more letter sounds and the occational word.  Has at least a 20 word vocab in sign.  Interaction, eye contact, comprehension... all improving steadily.  He is in special ed kindergarten (with speech and OT there), goes to 6 hrs a week ABA, extra OT and speech at specialized children's therapy clinic. He's been on Super-Nu-Thera for a year and a half; just started TMG, folate, zinc and Omega 3-6-9.  Good results so far.  Better interaction and appetite.  Starting probiotics next.  Saving up $ for DAN doctor.

Born with it?  Tough question.  He did speak a little, maybe 6 words and never consistantly.  Never pointed (does now, a little).  Had eye contact pretty good as a baby but seems to have lost it slowly between age 1 and 2.  No big noticable regression.  He was never 'on track' in the language and socal areas.  Ahead of 'track' in all things physical (is a major, scary climber!)  Has had intermitant, minor sleep problems.  (nothing we have had to 'treat')  No noticable digestive problems. Is mostly a happy, good natured little boy.  Horrible eater!  up until recently.  For a couple of years, lucky if he filled up on crackers and soy milk.  NO meat whatsoever for two solid years.  Just in past 6-8 months, started eating stuff like pizza and soup (only certain ones, of course. lol - to those many of you in the same boat there!)  Eats about half of the breakfast items offered at school - but sure won't touch similar stuff at home.  Vocal stims like crazy if he is not busy with something.  Otherwise, not a lot of 'stereotypical' behaviors (spinning, toe walking...)  Accepts hugs, etc. most of the time. Recently figured out how to play preschool level games on the computer and is now obsessed with it.  Will play for hours on end if we let him.  Gets aggressive with younger brother, actually yanking him away from the computer so he can get at it.  Otherwise is NEVER aggressive.  Interacts, plays with brother now - didn't for a long time.  Actively avoided him. 

What else?  Oh, family connections, which I think will prove significant at some point.  Have a nephew with severe ADHD, OCD (who is a genius).  Have a first cousin with an Aspie son.   Dad (of ASD son) is bipolar and ADD.  Vaccination connection?  well, I was a skeptic at first.  NOT now.  Definitely a connection.  Definiately a 'trigger', at the very least.  So much seriously scary info out there.  Freaks me out that doctors are not 'getting' this!!  wtf?  I get info on vaccine connection, etc. from an Autism Resource group from Indiana University - hardly a 'fringe' organization.  But still, main stream media - couldn't be more 'off base' with what they are putting out there.  And all this stupid hype about flu vaccine, gimme a break!!  Somebody's making $$  millions!  For sure!  gotta run. behind schedule this morning already.  Can't wait to read others' stories.  Thanks for asking, Rita.                                                             L.          Charwoman

eat2live
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Like another poster, I definitely agree there's some kind if genetic problem involved that predisposes some kids to autism more than others.  I also believe vaccines are the trigger for this and will never be convinced otherwise.  I don't know too many families who have kids with kids on the spectrum who also don't have someone else in their family tree with some kind of similar disorder.  My older son has Aspergers, younger son has excema and asthma, my sister is bipolar, nephew is bipolar, neice is dyslexic, I'm ADHD (possibly Aspie too, when I start looking back at my childhood/some current difficulties when compared with my Aspie son).  I also have Lupus/horrible chemcial sensitivity and anytime I have received a vaccine in adulthood, I've gotten extremely ill - even hospitalized.  I never get them anymore.  I feel there are some babies, whether born full-term or not, who may have more highly sensitive immune systems (as opposed to under sensitive) -- this creates overreaction to sensory things (lights, sounds, textures, etc.), which in turn makes the immune system over react non-stop, then introduce a vaccine on top of that, and the system goes nuts/starts shutting down - neurons start dying/connections initially born with are lost, and have to be rebuilt/rewired.  Something along those lines.....

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Oct. 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Quoting eat2live:

Like another poster, I definitely agree there's some kind if genetic problem involved that predisposes some kids to autism more than others.  I also believe vaccines are the trigger for this and will never be convinced otherwise.  I don't know too many families who have kids with kids on the spectrum who also don't have someone else in their family tree with some kind of similar disorder.  My older son has Aspergers, younger son has excema and asthma, my sister is bipolar, nephew is bipolar, neice is dyslexic, I'm ADHD (possibly Aspie too, when I start looking back at my childhood/some current difficulties when compared with my Aspie son).  I also have Lupus/horrible chemcial sensitivity and anytime I have received a vaccine in adulthood, I've gotten extremely ill - even hospitalized.  I never get them anymore.  I feel there are some babies, whether born full-term or not, who may have more highly sensitive immune systems (as opposed to under sensitive) -- this creates overreaction to sensory things (lights, sounds, textures, etc.), which in turn makes the immune system over react non-stop, then introduce a vaccine on top of that, and the system goes nuts/starts shutting down - neurons start dying/connections initially born with are lost, and have to be rebuilt/rewired.  Something along those lines.....

I'm on your page mama about the vaccines, Lane was totally typical until shots for tots loaded him up with 6 vaccines in one day, he was 22/mos already talking in sentences, now at 10, still not main streamed in school!

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Oct. 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I also keep seeing how many mommas are joining also , My experience was when my son had his first round of MMR when he was little after that he kept getting ear infections that would not go way , he was still talking eating everything I made for him . Then the two year old MMR , that very night in my arms he had a seizure and started screaming for what felt like forever I called my mother to tell her it was from the shot's at this time back in 93 there was no way that was possible . Come to find after that night the next day he was hiding behind the couch , he stopped talking eating , sleeping he would sleep no problems through out the nights .. I lost my child to the MMR . Nothing well ever change my mind ........ I know what I saw!! know how well he was doing never forget that scream and him stiffening up to where it was like his poor body was being attack .. Thats' enough out of me , very sad when I think  of the many Moms who have had to share this very same experience .. One day your child is fine then the next , he is gone into a whole different world , He is severely autistic and he is 18 he was completely non verbal until the age of 7 then he started saying ma ma and na na , but before the shots he was saying words singingsongs , .. I also think that the vaccines pulled the trigger .. His little body couldn't handle all of the toxin's they put into that MMR , The load of toxins' in the vaccines damaged my son's mind and body ... 1 in what 48 are boys now , That is just to unreal for the Government to not call a state of emergency , unless they are getting benefited from it like the CDC with all the vax's .. Money is going back in there pockets , hummm don't get it .. YES IT IS ON THE RISE ........ WHY CAN'T THEY SEE THAT ........

Puzzled
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM

yep. same thing happen to my dd fine until she had the mmr shot quit talking. only saya mama bye bye now. she was dx at about 2  and a half. even have her  on video walking at 10 months and talking.

I believe that autism is on the rise.

troublemom
by Member on Oct. 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM

i had my dd in 2002 she was the perfect little angel,  maybe when she turned year old she was eating everything and talking a little then before eightteen months everything went down hill screaming all the time not eating no eyecontact at all like she was in her own little world. went to her doctors , they couldnt figure it out, age 2 she was walking on her toes ,flapping her hands ,screaming still couldnt take her anywhere afraid of everything. then at 2 inhalf i went to see neurology at the hospital where they told me mydd has autism. everything change so quickley , i was amazed by how fast everyone help me to understand what was going on and how i can help her . she started school the age of 3 trying to get her to open up, everyyear she open up first a little talking , wasno crying hardly , the 3rd yr she was making friends , but she still flapps her hands, and still walks on her toes  .now she talks all the time ,but know dir- eyecontact still working onit now she is in the 2nd grade now she has mild seizure in her sleep or when she is steering into space, she sucks on her fingures until they get sore   ,she has a little promblem holding  a pencil in her hand ,her hand gets tied she hardly sleeps .i thought she was getting better and we where going fordword not backwards im so afraid of losing what she gain and learn in these past years. the best thing to do is get them into school it help alot,the ot and speech and the sp-ed teachers they are great!

thank you for reading my story! i love this group of moms!!!

troublemom

turtlechic
by Member on Oct. 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Hi there. I have 2 children on the spectrum. But this is the interesting thing about it........ 

My son has Autism.  He had words at a year old, could take him anywhere, etc. He had his MMR shot when he was 16 months old and had a severe reaction- he broke out with a rash and red dots all over his face and body. He stopped talking and would scream in agony whenever he went to a public place. THE MMR SHOT DEFINETLY TRIGGERED SOMETHING IN MY SON. He has recieved OT, Speech, and DI therapy (behavioral therapy) and has come so far. His main issues now are behavioral and sensory. He is almost 3.

My daughter has a much more severe form of autism, she is 18 months, recently diagnosed by 2 different doctors. MY DAUGHTER DID NOT GET HER MMR SHOT. She does not have any words, nor does she understand anything we say to her. Little eye contact, does not respond to her name, keeps her back to us, wants to play alone, jumps and flapps and stims all the time, and licks everything.

So, I have 2 kids with autism, one recieved the MMR shot, one didnt. There is definetly something genetically going on with autism. And I believe the shots can trigger it in some individuals.

Life is so hard sometimes. But you know....I wouldnt trade them for the world. Good luck to everyone on here ♥

turtlechic
by Member on Oct. 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM

P.S.- the new rate in NJ is 1 in 91.

RaggedyAnne
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

By the age of 18 months my son was not talking, responding, he was in his own world, not repeating etc. I did my homework & found out about the Early Intervention Program for birth to 3 yrs. I was given  resources speech & occupational therapists to see. he now talks to to death, I'm grateful he's come a long way. This summer he finally said bye to diapers. He's now talking. he still sees a speech therapist both in & out of school. he's somewhat what on target as far as toileting, dressing etc. He's been acting w/ impulsiveness. I  spoke w/ his teacher &  she asked me if I've spoken with his pediatrician. Afterwards I called the developmental pediatrician & explained what he's been doing in class ( biting, pushing, hitting,aggression etc ) The assistant sent a paper for me to fill out & the teacher as well. I praying he qualifies  to see a behavior therapist. I'll need to make an appt to see the developmental pediatrician afterwards. Praying she'll refer my son to a behavior therapist. It does seem that autism is on the rise, I'm always hearing in the news. I wish they would come up with a cure jigsaw ribbon

VicariousMommy
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I am a teacher who regularly works with high-school children on the Autism Spectrum.  My co-teacher and I found an interesting article from The Atlantic that addresses the spike in autism diagnoses.  I was originally really disheartened by the latest statistics, but this article illustrates that while diagnoses might be on the rise, actual case of autism may not be.  Read the article here.  I'm interested to hear what you think.  

Thanks,

Kristin

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200910u/autism-diagnoses#at

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)