Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alternative docs are so expensive; don't take medical assistance either.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

Between a rock and a hard place, we parents are---we know we sometimes can get the treatments that are out of the ordinary, or "off-lable" for our kid(s) from an alternative doc but not the conventional pediatrician or family physician. The alternative docs don't schedule as many patients because they are more thorough, schedule 4-hr blocks of time for your kid and charge nearly $1000 for the initial intake and testing, $400 for subsequent visits...they hardly ever, if at all, take medical assistance because they wouldnt make enough money on just a couple patients a day at the minimum payments M.A. would pay.surrender

Kate in PA, only parent in autistic son's lifeboy kissing mom

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
charwoman
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM

my advice: shop around.  we are in the process of looking at DAN doctors in Indiana.  We live near Chicago and most are in the Indianapolis area ( a 3 hr drive for us).  Yes, they all look very expensive (at least $600 to walk in the door!)  and NOT all are actually MD's. (some are clinics run by RN's and some chiropractors that call  themselves 'DAN'.  one wants big $$ and then you video conference with him in N.H.!! and that would be after we drive 3 hrs!)  BUT, we have found a few that say that when they order tests, we can then get our son's primary ped to write the orders and probably get Medicaid to pay for most of them.  Same with some of the suppliments.  Got lots of helpful info from local autism groups and biomed blogs.  Have you looked at "Rescue Angels" on the Generation Rescue site?  these are volunteers from a list that you search for your area.  I wrote to one and got a response within hours!  I know some areas have more options than others.  Parents that have 'been there' are a great resource.  Good luck!                                                                                       charwoman

AkchlyK8
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Dear Charwoman:  Thank you so much for the info!  No, I am new to cafemom and had never heard of operation rescue; i am going to re-read your msg and look into all that you are referencing...I hadn't ever thought of that angle, that the primary ped could order the testing and perhaps prescribe supplements and get hopefully, the insurance to pay.  Well, i didnt read your profile, if u have one, but i gotta say your child (-ren) are blessed to have parents that put so much energy and effort into chasing down what is best for their child...i admit, after reading what you are willing to do, i realized how much my fatigue as a single parent has been holding back from doing all i think i should do...but you are an inspiration.  God bless you.  And thanks for your reply.

Kate in PA, only parent in autistic son's lifeboy kissing mom

destiny29
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I would add that this board is often full of ideas and tips, just check back or post about a specific issue- these ladies rock!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)