Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any party planners in the bunch? Need advice! (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 245 Total Views

OK so our family has gotten into a rut at Holidays and I'm trying to think of ways to "spice up" Thanksgiving this year. Usually I spend 3 days cooking, my inlaws come over, eat half the food in 20 minutes and leave with left over plates and that's about it. I've become the holiday fast-food joint, it seems. It's rude on their part but I usually let it slide because it's a holiday and who wants to start something on a holiday, right? I like doing the cooking but I kind feel like I do all that work and all these preparations and it's over in less than an hour. What are some of the ways you entertain your guests and do you have any tips on how we could make this a more enjoyable experience for everyone?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

My God woman, like you don't have enough on your plate as it is!!  You tell your inlaws that things have gotten too crazy to do more than pop a turkey in the oven and if they want anything with that they can pitch in for once.  Ok, that may be a bit blunt, but you're taking care of two very young exceptional needs kids. 

you could tell them if they want dinner, you're going to have to drop your boys off at their house at about 8:00 am to get it all done :)

Actually, if you want to do it, some grocery stores will cater and all you have to do is pick it up at the store and reheat.  We did that once and it wasn't too bad.

Good luck!

"Some days are better than others"--Bono
"Today is a new day"--Chicken Little (Disney)

by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Why are they leaving so quickly???  Is there a reason???  I know we used to do ours late in the afternoon, but now we do it at noon (yeah I am up at 3am starting it all) but then people are not rushed onto the next dinner???  If it is something like that, where they have another dinner to get to, moving your time up some may be all you need.  Also, on Thanksgiving that is when I have the kids do the Christmas list.  And well.....we also have a very innapropriate tradition.  No one will eat mashed potatoes, but I always have to make them, I don't do the meal planning....turkey and rolls are my input....I have all the kids pick one thing for me to make with ALWAYS picks mashed potatoes....but NO ONE ever eats them.  I have started making them the day before...about 10 lbs of them...because after dinner we all need a workout right????  What better than a food fight in the back yard????  

It's really fun getting the call from Kenny's teacher regarding the "tradition" or comments about food fights are allowed in the backyard on Thanksgiving!!! 

by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

For our holiday celebrations, for Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is too many people to feed to make everything for whoever is hosting the event at their house that year.  The host asks everyone from each family to bring something and usually designates what they should bring.  You could ask someone to bring just a desserts or two you could ask someone to bring an appetizer and ask someone to bring wine and/or beer, whatever their drink of choice would be.  I ask my sisters-in-law to bring whatever they feel comfortable in making, for example, the stuffing, or the mushroom or celery caserole.  Whatever you feel that you don't want to make, have someone else do ahead of time, why should you have to do everything!  You are cleaning your house before and after and making all of dinner, that's too much work for you! 

Be strong, you don't want to be exhausted after the holidays and not enjoy yourself!

I hope your holidays are stress-free and you can enjoy!

Cheryl D. (NJ Mom of 2)

by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM

cornucopiaGood Lord, girl.....just do not do it all.  Call your guests and tell them that you are anxious to taste some of their skills........Have a turkey, (or whatever you have) potluck.  If someone does not have a dish they want to bring, ask for good paper plates, Liters of soda or some drink for the dinner.  Napkins are a good idea.  Call someone you are close to in the family and tell them that you would love to have some extra time with them.  Ask them to stay and help with clean up and a nice egg nog with feet up afterwards.  You have a lot of imagination, destiny.  Let it work for you.  And be thankful!  Love ya, Beth100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)