Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Update* - Touchy Subject Post

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 363 Total Views

**Update**

I need the advice of the wonderful moms here please.  As of today, here's where we're at with Elizabeth - we saw her pediatrican Monday who very thoroughly went through her chart, the diary I've kept with her symptoms, the cardiologist report, etc.  I have to admit that I went in prepared for a fight because some of the nurses were being "smart" about the whole thing.  I am relieved to say that the doctor still firmly believes that she's reacted to the shots, that he believes she's come down with one of the virus' she was vaccinated for, he's filed a report and marked in her chart that she is to recieve no more vaccines.  Saturday she started with a sudden/stop symptoms that come and go - fever, congestion, sore throat, and waking up at night screaming with muscle jerks.  He's put her on a allergy medicine before bed hoping that the vaccines irritated her allergies and she's having a flare up.  But what has him concerned is that two of the shots she recieved and IF she contracted one of the two, can cause weakening of the heart or neurological problems.  (He did do a blood test, and tested for strep throat and a few other things, everything was good or negative.) So I was told to watch her like a hawk and to bring her in again if she doesn't improve.   Tuesday night, she started complaining that her "brain hurt" and "bird flew in my ear and still there".  We had thought that it was her sinus drainage and she's having a headache and ringing in her ears?  Wouldn't have the allergy medicine relieved the headache and rining by now?  She's been on it since Monday.  Also, she's always had a temper but now she's having high pitched screaming fits if the smallest thing happens.  Prior to this, she was sound sensitive to obnoxious noises (a semi on the interstate, the vaccum cleaner) but she loved music turned up.  Now she's "having fits" if the music is turned up or if I even leave the water on the faucet running (I know, not good practice) while they brush their teeth.  I need your thoughts please. 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Oh boy talk about chills all over my body , oh honey I am so sorry about what happened to your daughter , the only thing I can say is she is in good hands with the Doctor and he is keeping a good eye on her . Makes me wonder when I was holding my Kyle in my arms after his shot he had a sezure if that is how he felt , he stop doing everything after that night he stopped eating sleeping and talking , I can't say enough about how I feel that the shots just pull the trigger for some are kiddos' ...... I will be praying for you . I no there are a lot of Mommas on here with the same situation as you . Hang in there sweets ..... GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER , try to not blame yourself for any of this good thing is she is able to communicate to you what or how she is doing .. This just breaks my heart .. thanks for the update please let us all no how she continues to do K ..... MUCH LOVE TO YOU ....... 

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM

All the sinus stuff going on could be affecting her ears, even cause an ear infection.  Has the doc mentioned seeing a neuro if the symptoms don't go away?  Because that may be a good idea, especially with the muscle jerks, and neuros are trained to pick up things that regular peds are not.

KatsMom01
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Quoting mamatware:

All the sinus stuff going on could be affecting her ears, even cause an ear infection.  Has the doc mentioned seeing a neuro if the symptoms don't go away?  Because that may be a good idea, especially with the muscle jerks, and neuros are trained to pick up things that regular peds are not.

He checked Monday for an ear infection but her ears were good, though that doesn't mean that they are now.  I called the doctors office this morning because he had told me to report any unusual behavior but the nurse just said to watch her a few more days and then to bring her in on Monday if she was still complaining.  (There is not good communication between the traige nurse and the doctors which I'm irritated with.)  Yes, he did mention seeing a neuro if nothing improves in the next week or so and he did say to make sure that we saw only him when we had appointments, it's a group practice and he doesn't want this current history to get "lost".   The bad thing is that my 8 year old Aspie daughter is very loud and talks non-stop and now I'm faced with a kid who's going over the edge at every loud noise.  It's constant screaming and I feel like I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown - we have no happy medium.  Thank you wonderful moms' again, so much for the support. 

Bellesan
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM

You might want to read about Detoxifying Clay Baths to get the poison out of their system.  We do it with our daughter.

bosoxlady38
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I am so sorry to hear about the reaction to the vaccine.  My son Andrew is PDD NOS and both he and his sister (who is neuro-typical) have had some unusual vaccine reactions.  My daughter has a reaction to DTAPand has had swelling/cramping/leg pain that spans from her hip to her toes that last for 6+ days.  Andrew, had 2 vaccines that failed ( he is 6) and he had to have booster shots done this past summer (Hib and Pnemoc.).  He has been battling a staph infection in his sinuses that has come back 2x in 4months. What makes this more complicated is that he paradoxical reactions to many medications.  Benadryl, given over a couple of days, makes him aggressive and unmanageable, Claritin has no effect, Triaminic makes him very nervous, and Zyrtec makes him hyper.  We have him on Allegra and a Nasonex.  You may check with your ped. and see if you might try switching to another classification of allergy med.  Also, you might ask about using Sudafed to open her sinuses if you can get it.  The phenylphrine works OK, but with Andrew, the Pseudoephedrine is more effective.  It makes him sleepy (again, the paradoxical reaction) but it opens the sinus passages and the Eustachian tubes in his ears that allow for drainage.  Have the docs done a blood draw to check and see if there is more going on- auto immune response,etc? Also maybe see an immunologist to have him or her follow up and see if they can make sense of the symptoms.  I am sorry you are going through this.  I have had a few of those "Mom doesn't know much" encounters with a couple of the docs at my Pediatric group and there is nothing quite so aggravating.   I would think by now that people in the med profession would take into account our situation and realize we are very detail oriented (a necessity) and have learned the importance of documenting things.  I wish you and yours good luck with this and that she feels better soon. 

mamatware
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM

You may try earplugs with your daughter for the noise, it may even "suffocate" the bird that is stuck in there too!  I had an ear infection a couple of years, the first one in probably 25 years......it was bad.  I know for myself when I have sinus stuff going on that is affecting my ears and when I  had the ear infection, ear plugs helped me a lot, and if I didn't have any (beleive it or not in my house, ear plugs are like diapers I do not let myself run out of them) cotton balls worked instead. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)