Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's Share Thankful things that our Children do! Brag a little!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 581 Total Views

With special needs children, we often forget to bring out the awesome things they do & say. It's almost Thanksgiving, lets share some thankful things that our Children can do.

I'll start off with last night Lane recited all the books in the Bible in perfect order, but can't read at all. We have so focused on him not being able to read yet as he is almost 11, that we forget to be thankful for his awesome memory.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM

That truly is awesome!  Hmm...  I guess this counts-- I'm certainly thankful for it, anyway..  After having my daughter's friend with Asperger's come with us to the zoo yesterday, I have a new appreciation for my daughter; she doesn't have the anxiety/sensory issues this little girl has.  I never realized how lucky we are in some ways.

I am so proud that my daughter is so diligent about remembering to wear her retainer-- if she relied on me to remind her, she'd be in big trouble!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM

MY SON SAID "Yellow"  the other day.  I coudln't believe it. It use to be lellow.   He also ate turkey for the first time.  I coudln't believe that either we too pictures.  He is now 9 and he is doing wonderfully! 

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM

i love it when they draw for me,i told them ill have to buy them a big container to put their drawings in tell you the truth i am very much thankful for my children and thankful they bring so much joy in my life.and i am happy that they get up every morning and smile no matter what the day has in store for them.i am proud of my kids with special needs and i am proud to be their mom.they are so smart.:)i love bragging about my babies lol

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I am thankful for the good health of my spite of their ADHD/Autism...they are doing great in their early intervention school....they are very vocal, VERY VOCAL and they are just perfect!  For all of these reasons I am thankful!

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

My 10 year old Aspie is in love with all the pretty girls and enjoys sports quite a bit.

He is adorable so getting the girls' attention happens fairly easily, keeping their interest, well, not so good.

It has been a process to get him to like sports. Very little interest in them  when we started a few yrs. ago.

We can't wait for Upward Basketball to roll around.

It's so fun and the coaches are very inclusive with all the kids.

Last yr., my son made a basket from half court for the 1st time in his life!

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I love this post!

1.  I'm thankful that my Aspie daughter has such logical thinking.  There have been many times I've overlooked a solution to a problem because the answer was so obvious!  This is the trait that drives me crazy the most and the one I forget to really be thankful for.  (I have a bad habit of talking in metaphors and she doesn't realize that it's not literal.)

2.  I'm thankful that my beautiful 4 year old is fighting her vaccine reactions for all she's worth.  She's really a spunky little girl all around.  It's so hard to become preoccupied with all she's not doing anymore, thank you for reminding me of the positives that are there.

Love you All!

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I am so thankful for how vocal my daughter is--even if she comes up with embarrassing things to say when we are in line at the store.  (Yesterday we were getting groceries and she said "Silly pink bear with the heart on his butt!"  And then kept repeating it and laughing. LOL!)

I am also thankful that my daughter has a great sense of humor--she laughs all the time, and it is so infectious that we all have to laugh too.

I am thankful for all of my children--they are great kids, and the boys are so patient and kind to their sister.  They understand that she has specific needs, and they help out and try to connect with Lizzy every chance they get.  They are so compassionate and loving to Lizzy, and you can see that they love her.  Its so sweet!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM

When it comes to my autistic son I could go on and on about how thankful I am for just having him in my life. He is so special to me in every way, but to be most thankful for is those kisses and hugs...Damn I love 'em. Just the way he lays his head close to mine or when he sees his bus is coming and he says kisses and hugs mom and gives me 1 before he sets off to school for the day. He makes me proud to me a Mom! BTW my man turns 7 tomorrow and he has been wanting to be a king so I made him a birthday crown today and he is gonna love it. Im gonna let him wear it to school.Just little moments like these it is all worth it!!!

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I'm thankful that Will has started to pick up a few words, and is interested in communicating and is imitating sounds and gestures.  A few months ago we had none of that.

But the biggest thing that I am thankful for is that Will is a happy kid.  He finds joy in the simplest thing.  He was chasing the dog the other night and laughing so hard he could barely stand.  Tonight one of his toys was making a funny noise and it just cracked him up.  It's impossible to be upset or angry when he is belly laughing.  He loves going up and down stairs, and smiles at me and claps after each one. 

by Head Admin on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I am Thankful that Kyle told me I love you Mommy about a week ago , also that he is the happiestperson ( most of times ) All it takes for him is a thought of a funny show he was watching or something he thought was funny he will laugh and laugh so hard that I myself forget the laughter of just the simple things , he brings to me a smile when I forget to have one , he brighten' up my day when he loves to see the clouds the stars ....Thankful that he is comprehend more about what is going on in his surrounds .. Thankful that he is my son , the simple things he says that make me think ya your right Kyle .Thankful he has shown me what it is like to live in world full of cruelty and not have a care besides what he is wanting at that moment . What a gift from God My Kyle too has a memory just like this computer , AMAZING .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)