Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new and need ideas!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

Hello, my youngest son is 7 and has been diagnosed with OCD, ODD, ADHD, anxiety and High functioning autisum.  He is a challenge with sensory and speach issues also.   We thought we had everything figured out for our daily routines and disapline and then he started something new, he screams at the top of his lungs.  Now we dont know what to do!  Were lost!! 

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Did you steal my kid????  :)    We're dealing with the same thing.  One thing that has worked a bit is a visual scale of 1-5 for voice level. 

1 being silent,;

2 whispering, or quiet talking;

3 regular kid talking/playing;

4 outside playing; and

5 emergency, someone is killing me/ I'm on fire

We then have social stories about when you use each level and visual reminders in different areas of the house.

Still, we struggle with the screeching.  I think my son uses it in a few ways:

1. Behavioral--it sure does get our attention.  We try to ignore it or make a comment like "I think someone is trying to tell us something, but not using their words"
  2. Sensory--sometimes he uses it for sensory input (he's a seeker auditorially).  we give him an alternative that's more socially apropriate like music or a "loud toy"
  3. In play--He's a great mimic, but it's not ok to make a parasorolophus noise in church.  This is where the noise level chart comes in handy.
  4. Stimming--Sometimes, he just uses it to cope when his "autism is showing".   We then have to deal with what is stressing him out or chalk it up to a "bad day"

Every time we figure out something with our Babycakes, he, too, comes up with something new.  Such is the face of autism, I guess.

Good luck, and send me a message if you want to discuss this kind of stuff more.  We have great resources with our behavioral therapist and the school speech and OT staff.

Angela

"Some days are better than others"--Bono
"Today is a new day"--Chicken Little (Disney)

MedinaLynn
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Thank you so very much!  I like the 1-5 voice idea!!   It is nice to know Im not the only mom out there with these kinds of issues with my children! He too has OT, PT, Speach and Learning group at school plus we also use an outside OT as well!  It has been of much help!  But thank you again for the ideas!!

destiny29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I agree w/ the PP 100%! One other thing that works sometimes and is so hard to do- ignore it. Sometimes my son will do stuff like that because he likes seeing all of us jump. But other than that- she pretty much covered it.

mamagoose524
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Quoting AngelaPatton:

Did you steal my kid????  :)    We're dealing with the same thing.  One thing that has worked a bit is a visual scale of 1-5 for voice level. 

1 being silent,;

2 whispering, or quiet talking;

3 regular kid talking/playing;

4 outside playing; and

5 emergency, someone is killing me/ I'm on fire

goodI like that.  I'm going to remember that.

AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I'm going to try to pop an email to the school SLP to see where she got the idea.  She has them posted up all over school :)))    

Angela

"Some days are better than others"--Bono
"Today is a new day"--Chicken Little (Disney)

Sally_Nada
by Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM

And, When all else fails, try changing how you respond to a behavior and see what happens. My son would often get off the bus (after a good day at school) happy and walk into the house and let it all loose.  Yes, I realize how much work he had put into his day keeping it all together but our appropriate response is not to lose it the moment we walk in the door.

I tried giving him tasks to do when he arrived home, tasks to help him with the transition. I tried to setup claming activities, I tried ignoring him.  Didn't work, he still screamed at the top of his lungs so one day when he came in, He Screamed - I screamed (just a simple La, La, La).  Guess what, he asked me to stop. I replied, "if you stop, I'll stop".  He started screaming again, I started with the "La, La, Las" again, once again he asked me to stop, I gave him the same response, and he got it this time.

Sometimes kids create behavior chains, they do A, you respond with B.  To correct the behavior you need to change how you respond. And, yes, you need to teach what appropriate behavior is for public, private, indoor and outdoors, as mentioned above social stories are a great option but you can also do video modeling or if you have other children in the house do role plays with them (my daughters can be quite the actresses.)

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)