Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We're on the news... autism awareness

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/mother-writes-poem-to-her-autistic-son

The video is to the left hand side of the screen.  The written article is to the right.  

Our Pastor called this morning to tell me that church was cancelled.  It was very slippery outside as the ground was covered with a mix of sleet and about 5 inches of snow.  A couple minutes after he called to tell us that, Channel 22 news called us.  Just for the heck of it yesterday I sent an email to all the news stations in our area to raise awareness about Autism Sunday which is February 14th.  Here is a little more about that: http://www.bloggernews.net/123438  It is an international day of prayer for children with Autism.

I sent them copies of my Youtube videos and poems. This was just last night.  I was thinking that nobody would get back to us, especially because they contain some religious content.  I got a surprise this morning to awaken to DH saying "Honey news people are on the phone about your poetry".  I was like "What?"  They said they would like to come interview us and they would be here in one hour.  Had to scramble to get the house presentable, get dressed, get E changed, print out my poems, some info on Autism, etc.  I was so nervous.  The man on the phone was very nice as was the reporter who came out here.  I read my poems, talked about earlier diagnosis and Elijah not getting diagnosed until he was six years old, how we have to drive to Boston to get him the help he needs, etc.  

They messed up some things in thier write up.  Like E's last name, and the last couple sentences at the end they messed my words up. 

Elijah had a pretty well behaved vacation, but Mommy sure will be happy when school is back in session tomorrow!!!!

Janice

Mom to:   Elijah age 7 DX: BP, ADHD, SPD, GAD, PDD-NOS Meds: Abilify 15 mg, Lithium ER 450 am/300 pm, Clonidine .1 mg, Tenex 1 mg am/pm Charlie  (My Stepson) age 15 DX: ADHD, PTSD, ODD, CD, Mood Disorder NOS No Meds. MY GIRLS:  M age 13 w/o diagnoses, N age 10 w/o diagnoses

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
PJSMOMMIE
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:37 AM

what a wonderful way to get awareness out !!!!! tho the man doing the interview or the story in the background sounded like chet you betchum from fairly odd parents LOL

Co-Admin To:
  Are you a NY Mom of a child with Special Needs? Join Us-click here!!

Know someone with Cerebral Palsy? Join Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy 

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM

clappingCongratulations!  You know how I love your poems!  You,re the best and I wish all the best for you.......Beth100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)