Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and dogs

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

My 5 year old autistic son has just feel in love with our new dog! we have other dogs he has never cared about them but this new dog makes him laugh and they play it warms my heart. Has anyone else seen this before?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
PJSMOMMIE
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:31 AM

i belive our children and animals have a special bond. we have a total of two dogs a cat and a turtle.  our one dog is a lab and shes a lab thru and thru she also has whobblers syndrome. when pj (hfa) comes hom from anywhere she must "attack" to make sure shes ok ... she takes everything out with her back end bc she is so excited. when they are sitting on the floor she makes sure some part of her is touching her boys and same with the boys. willow our cat just loves our boys as well .. when ever they are sick willow will not leave their side. they truly have a special bond with our four legged children.

Co-Admin To:
  Are you a NY Mom of a child with Special Needs? Join Us-click here!!

Know someone with Cerebral Palsy? Join Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy 

pamhoward
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM

My son had a Companion Dog for several years and we lost her to cancer in 2007.  I saw with both the dog and also our cat (which we lost to old age in 209) that they both seemed to really understand that Andrew had differences from typical children.  They tolerated so much from hm that they wouldn't take from anyone else!  He (and we) are ready to welcome another pet into our home and we're currently going through the application process with Canine Companions for Indepence (CCCI).  (I strongly recommend them if you're looking for a trained Companion or Service dog for yourself or a family member.)

FXmomTo3
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM

awww, I love telling people about my son and the dog !.......My son went through a time of extreme anxiety, self-abuse and agression....his anxiety was so high he would back himself into a corner as if he didn't know me and if I got to close to him, he'd fight me like a bear clawing its way out of a tent...it was heartwrenching to say the very least (thankfully a pediatrician stepped in to help us medically and within 3 weeks Phillip was back to himself...really wish I knew what set it off)....anyway, I was very thankful for our dog....only about 6 months prior to this escalation of anxiety (which lasted the whole summer by the way) we had gotten ourselves a pup....a golden retriever we named Halo....whenever Phillip would scream, Halo would lick his hand and it brought him out of it.....we eventually were able to teach him to say "lick" when he "needed" it....okay, so maybe not  hygenic, but its much better than the alternative....anyway, when Phillip's anxiety escalated past screaming to self-abuse, Halo would jump on him to knock him to the ground and lay on top of him....this amazed me !  That is exactly what I had to do to calm him down...I would lay on top of him and sing to him...he craves proprioception and needs heavy pressure in order to calm....and the dog picked up on this....I think a lot of people may have thought this was agression from the dog, but if you understood the situation and the connection between Phillip and the dog, I think you'd know it wasn't.....and when Phillip is sick, the dog won't come to bed with us, she lies at his door.....she always alerts me when Phillip is awake if I don't hear him....and she doesn't go very far from PHillip when we go out on hikes.... 

And the relationship between the pair goes the other way too....Phillip recognizes when she is afraid of the vacuum and brings her toys and sits with her !  This is not because Phillip doesn't like the vacuum...he LOVES the vacuum...he used to like to do this job....but now he would rather give Halo comfort !    And he shares things with her....he wants her to play with her toys (we've had to teach him that's not okay and that he should give her her own toys, lol ) and he wants to share his food with her, whereas, believe me, nobody else is getting a bite !  hahaha

Here's a picture of when Phillip was sick and he and the dog curled up on the couch together....the dog may look a little strange near her chest, but if you look closely you'll see it's a teddy bear the same colour as Halo, hahaha

anyway, yes, I fully believe there is a connection between children with autism and animals...I have several other stories I could tell you too, lol, but I've probably made this post too long now as it is....hahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)