Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom's like Me?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:54 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 331 Total Views

My name is Elli and we have a son who's 12, 13 in July that was just diagnosed with ASD this last summer. While we've known all along, no one wanted to help us figure it out and we ran into walls constantly. Stevey is high functioning but not concidered High Functioning Autism...the place that diagnosed him said he didn't meet the criteria to be high functioing; So needless to say, we're in the beginning of what we should have known long ago!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Beth100
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems with diagnosis.  It seems that us parents, grand-parents, etc. cannot catch a break.  Does your son still qualify for any services, therapies, etc.?

This has got to me such a problem for you....I just can't imagine!  My best thoughts prayers and wishes are with you and yours!  Beth100

anxiety25
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Hang in there... it's rough to get a diagnosis because opinion factors in so much.  It's also annoying trying to get the "right" diagnosis due to that, and the overlap in the types on the spectrum.

What label are they actually giving him?

I would almost prefer a lower functioning label for my son at times, as it definitely can help to get more services/support/therapy and all of that than what he is eligible for.

High functioning autistic mom (29) of son (8, Aspie) and NT daughter (5). Feel free to ask any questions if you are curious about anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)