Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share what Autism has taught you...........................

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM
  • 22 Replies
  • 797 Total Views

Autism has taught me many things. I take the time now when out in public, to stop & give a disabled person a smile, I run to open a door for the elderly & disabled. It has so taught me that using the word "retard" is off limits. It has taught me that when someone stares or makes a remark, I turn to them, look straight in their eyes & say without any shame, he has Autism, isn't he precious. I have learned to appreciate that at age 11, he is potty trained & is verbal, even though he is still not able to mainstream in school. It has made my heart swell with pride when Lane does little things that we took for granted before Autism. My list is endless. Whether you have dealt with ASD one month or for years, please share what it has taught you!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sakeenah35
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM

My little one has taught me the meaning of love! When I am so down and he has not clue what is going on, he will just give me a big hug and say "I Love you"! out of the blue and it makes my day! Also patience, never thought I could have so much, but in a good way. He is my special little boy!

kalada
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM

i have learnt, that now when i see a child throwing a paddy to not automatically assume that all they need is a smacked bottom or  not to think its bad parenting.

cindie83099
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Patience, what "unconditional love" really is and tolerance.  Like you, I will take the time to say an encouraging word, a smile or a good job to someone who is "otherleyabled" I hate the word disabled as well as retard....otherleyabled is my made up word and I like it better!

MISTY7983
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM

MY BOY HAS TAUGHT ME PATIENCES I NEVER KNEW I HAD. HOW TO JUST LAUGH AND ENJOY LIFE.

destiny29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I'm digging this post MamaRita! I, like you, could go on for hours and still not list everything I've been taught by these little miracles in my life. The boys have taken me from a place of "what should be" (negative idealism) to a place of "what really is" (acceptance/reality) to a place of what "could be." (Hopeful idealism) There is so much I never knew about the world, humanity, the power of the human brain and reasoning and the human condition in general until they entered my life. I've learned the difference between real friends and friends in name only. I've learned that there is rarely ever one explanation, one opinion, one perception or one way of doing something. I've learned personal courage, strength, patience, endurance, persistance, wisdom and the amazing power of unconditional love. My boys have taught me in every way what it means to be alive with all the ups and downs, the roller coasters and the merry go rounds, and frankly, I would not have it any other way... but don't quote me on that when the meltdowns happen... I guess the greatest gift anyone could ever have is love and my kids give that in abundance.  

Sally_Nada
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Five years ago I wrote this, writing has always been my therapy, my son has a dual diagnosis of fragile X and autism, we didn't have the fragile X diagnosis until he was almost five, the autism diagnosis came much later when we were participating in a research study:

Who I Am

One day I discovered that I'm no longer the person I was twelve years ago. Something special happened, something that few individuals have the opportunity to experience in their lifetime. A little less than twelve years ago I gave birth to a child with Fragile X Syndrome, a developmental disability and a common cause of Autism. As with many parents of Fragile X Syndrome children, at birth we didn't know that anything was different about our son.

In the past seven years of my son's life, I've learned a lot about tolerance. However, not in terms of tolerating my son but in tolerating other people who don't take the time to understand him. I can understand ignorance but refuse to accept individuals that surpass ignorance to a level of stupidity, to the point of cruelty. Through my son, I've experienced prejudice towards him and others like him. Those of you who feel that prejudice no longer exists are living in a world outside of my reality.

I've come to understand that each of us has our own definition of "normal". My families "normal" revolves around Austin, and his disability. That's what life has given us.

I've discovered many things that are important in life. It's just as important to laugh as it is to cry. Both will heal you from the inside out. It's important to not lose hope; sometimes hope is the only constant. It's important to give more than you take, in doing so you can help others along the way. It's important to share experiences, successes and failures, so others may learn from them.

To many outsiders, my life might seem awkward, difficult, tiresome and possibly sad. However, they don't know what I know, I'm special and so is my son.

I'm thankful that I decided not to wallow in sorrow, to not forsake who I was before the diagnosis but to build upon it, slightly modifying my dance card. hugs

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Feb. 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Everyone of your stories made the hair on my neck stand up. How awesome to find so much good from something that was so devastating when first diagnosed. This Thursday I picked Lane up from his little special class, brought him home. As always he was hungry as a bear, filled his belly, then out to the tire swing he ran. I sat & watched him for quite sometime. As I was sitting there, I was wondering why my back had to hurt so bad all the time (Kidney disease) I've had to deal with for over 20 years, I was starring out in the wild blue when I felt this arm go around my neck & he planted a big kiss on the top of my head. I forgot about my back hurting & went on to play with him. It's the little things like this, that before Autism, I took for granted.

c.oordt
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Autism has taught me:

--that there is much more going on behind what is seen of a family in public 

--compassion for parents with "difficult" children

--a new perspective on life in general

--how to control my judgements, my feelings, my reactions extended to those outside of the spectrum

--to embrace my life as it is and give up some control...to 'wing it' more...to make more allowances...to really, truly, genuinely and wholly enjoy those times when we are all smiling

--that I could be a much better mother than I ever thought possible

SuyinMeiyin
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Having a child with Autism has helped me to quit judging a parent whose child does not behave while in a store. I'm guilty of being one of those people who judged misbehaving children. Now I feel more comfortable approaching a disabled person. Since my daughter's autism diagnosis, I'm more aware of what Autism is and in the process helping others know it as well. My daughter has taught me not to take things for granted. Every little progress she makes no matter how small it is, brings me joy knowing that Autism is treatable. I always tell myself that God still has a purpose and plan for her life. Everything in God's timing!!!!

Choy Randolph

gstaley
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Autism has taught us:

---Patience

---Understanding

---To slow and appreciate every day

---That our son is unique

---That our son just happens to have Autism NOT the other way around

---That our son is gift (even though, there are days he can be extremely difficult)

pregnancy week by week

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)