• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time to join the 'real world?'

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

We had a 'transition' meeting last night at my daughter's soon to be high school for just the special needs kids and parents. She will be starting her freshman year this August. I was very humble/grateful that the school even bothered to do this. I thought...this might not be so bad. We were introduced to the counselors, spec. needs teachers, etc.There are spec needs kids assigned to 4 or 5 different counselors up to 15-17 cases each....'big school.'  Policies were explained, questions were asked and answered. yada, yada We were then split off into small groups with different counselors for the grand tour. I thought great now I can ask detailed questions.

Apparently, there are no cell phones allowed during school hours..ok, fine. We would try to adhere to the policy at first. Mind you, my daughter already saying no cell wasn't gonna happen. I asked if it would be possible to grant special circumstances because if and when my daughter has a meltdown in school...I or her dad are usually the only ones who can talk her down or bring her back to finish out the day, or come get her (whichever applies.) His response, she can go see her counselor and talk him/her. She hardly trusts a soul in school..wonder why? Ok, no help. Next question, how do you handle the bullying? This has been our daughter's worst year for the bullying. Again, talk to assigned counselor and go from there. Call the school, talk to appropriate persons. Again, the usual hands tied, appeasement BS! I preceded to explain in detail..how I am a very 'vocal' parent, I will be like a bad storm over that school if my child's needs aren't met, or she is bullied/harassed! It opened the door for other parents to speak up also. To finally get to my point...this supposed spec. needs counselor/advocate...precedes to say to us..in so many words...it's time to grow up, stop depending on your parents, it's time to join the real world. Wrong answer buddy!! That is when I realized this moron has no clue how to manage, deal, handle autistic/special needs kids or their parents. I was so pissed I thought if I don't leave now, I'm going to snap! Not a good idea, I need to take the bees/honey approach right now. I can already see, it's going to be another fight to the death for my kid, and her IEP to be enforced, etc.

If and when I run into this same response there...I will tell them the answer I received from this gentleman and continue to say..... I didn't realize people were allowed to put bubblegum in some one's hair in the 'real world.' I didn't realize people were told almost daily, I am going to beat your arse & bring my friends to help in the 'real world.' I didn't realize people were allowed to tell someone to stfu daily in the 'real world.'  I'm sick, tired, & frustrated with these supposed 'normal' people!!! I wonder what would happen if I were to do the same to the normal people. hmmmm? Thanks for a having a place to come vent with REAL people!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Remind then that in the "real world" police get called and adults get sued for the behavior of minor children in their care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mustbeGRACE
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

If I were you, I'd be interested to know what special, precise training this person has in the area that describes your daughter, autism, etc.,.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2010 at 8:19 PM

banging head into wallI understand your feelings completely!!  Hang in there and be VOCAL!  I'm all for it!  School can either be "the answer" or the biggest frustration/danger, there is.  Stay vigilant!  Sometimes, that's all be can do, besides vocalize.  I wish you the best.....Stay strong, Mama!  Beth100

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on May. 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I would have flipped out too , Yes on the I.E.P Best bet is to have it written that she has her cell phone with her at all times , Playing a game here with are kiddos life , it not a game , not in the real world when it comes to autism .. Each child is different each need is different they must accomdate each child as an indivdual and not as a whole school's policy's BS momma is right .. Dig on your spunck , yes they had storms over my son's class when he hit high school , and it broke my son due to there lack of knowledge .. Mind you as a mom my voice was heard everyday . I would pick him up and take him to school due to the lack of knowledge the bus driver's had when he was younger' ..... SO grrrrrrr with ya on this one ... You no already we never back down to what they think is normal in there world,s is nothing compared to what is normal in are world .. they need to get a clue sounds like there in for a rude awakening ...... They can set are kiddo's up to fail or succeed , that part is in are hands .. Fight for there rights !!!!! WE HAVE A LOT ..... More then they think we no .. Good luck to you .. love your power in your standing up for your daughter ....... never ever take no for an answer is my famous last words ........ hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)