Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hi i'm new

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 309 Total Views

hello everyone my name is Jessica and my son Milo was diagnosed with ASD last Thursday. His 3rd birthday was Saturday.... i figured since i dont really have anyone to talk to besides my husband i'd try to get some support from you guys. This whole week has just been a whirlwind and i'm so overwhelmed not only from Milos fits, but I also have a 4 month old. (who i'm worried about the whole vaccine thing now..) Anyway I guess maybe i can start by asking how all of you delt with the diagnosis and maybe if you could help with any info i might need that would be amazing.  Milo has been recieving in home therapy from an OT and speech therapist and will be beginning preschool in the fall. i guess its a start right? :) Thanks for listening-Jess

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melissarose72
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Welcome to the group.

My son turned 3 in January. He was first evaluated at 15 months ("signs of autism") and dx at 21 months. Emotionally, it took me a long time to come to terms with this. It's tough to hear someone say we did this & this & now my child is talking in sentenences. That hasn't been our experience. But I can now say autism without crying. 

Read what you can (I loved the book....The Elephant in the Playroom....every chapter is written by a different parent of a special needs child. A lot of the chapters are about kids with ASD, but it also covers other special needs. This book really touched me).

Look into support groups (try meetup.com to find something in your local community).

I don't know about your insurance/state situation....but look into ABA therapy. Also, I hope your insurance will cover private (outside of school) speech therapy, now that your son is 3 (if he needs it). In school speech therapy is NOT enough for my child, who is basically non-verbal.

Hang in there. For me, this has been an emotional roller coaster. I imagine it's a roller coaster for every mom.

Hugs to you.

Melissa

cupojoejessi
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Thanks Melissa you are so nice! Milo is also pretty much non verbal he was also diagnosed with Apraxia and we should be getting some help with insurance and his OT actually today suggested ABA so we should be on the right path. thanks for the suggested reading i'll go check it out. btw your son is adorable :)

-Jess

melissarose72
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Aww, thanks!

A couple pros have mentioned my son might have apraxia, but his current speech therapist wasn't willing to make it official just yet.  What I've read about it makes me think it might be true. I do say Aaron is non-verbal. He doesn't have real words (he used to say chair correctly, around 18 months, but he lost that word & it's never come back). He says some word approximations (his best attempt at the word, but if you didn't know him - you wouldn't know what he was trying to say). Mostly, he's just able to say a vowel immitation of the word, but it might be different from try to try. He used to be able to say the b, m, d sounds...but they seem to be gone now.

There are a lot of good books, but it can be overwhelming in the beginning. It's ok to take things in slowly :-)

take care~

Quoting cupojoejessi:

Thanks Melissa you are so nice! Milo is also pretty much non verbal he was also diagnosed with Apraxia and we should be getting some help with insurance and his OT actually today suggested ABA so we should be on the right path. thanks for the suggested reading i'll go check it out. btw your son is adorable :)

-Jess

bethybaby
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Hello, I'm new to this group as well.My son has very limited Verbal skills.  My son will be 4 in September and started Preschool around christmas last year. I was sent to the school because of my son's speech. And at the end of May the School Preschool team asked me if I would let them evaluate my son, and I told them sure if it will help him! So we met after the Evaluations and They believe he is on the spectrum, and  the speech therphist believes he has Apraxic(Sorry about the spelling) as well. The school is leaning more toward Aspergers or PDD-NOS. So he will be recieveing  More speech therphy. They have added OT therphy, Socail therphy and He will also be going to Preschool 4 days a week when school starts beack up. The way they explained things to my husband and I, That a diagnoses was not needed for them to continue these services. But if we wanted him to be diagnosed so that thru our Insurance we could get him more help then that was something we could do. The Teachers are wonderful. I was devistated. I cried for days. I'm Pregnant with our second child due anytime now.  So that didn't help, you read all the horrible stories about Autism. But everything I have read and everyone I have talk to. Early Intervention is the Key!!! And we are doing the right thing for our children, getting them help.  I feel so upset sometimes that Braxton can't answer me if I ask him a question. Like this morning I ask him if he wanted a Drink. and He looked at me like I was crazy. Then about a Minute later he grabs his clean cup off the counter and says "want Drink". Which most people would not be able to make out what he said with out the visual clue of the cup! It can be so Aggrevating, and depressing knowing that your child is different. You just want the best for them and if your like me you want to make him all better but I don't know how. I just have to be patient and love him. That's all I can do. I hope this helps. Any advice would be appricated as well!

I have a question what is ABA therphy. Like I said I have just entered this ASD, PPD-NOS, and I am not sure of all the Abrevations. And therphys are called.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM

blue ribbon  Hi Jessica and welcome to the group.  You are off to a good start if Milo already has some therapies in place.  It is hard to know where to go from the starting point.  I guess what I would tell you is to start a journal of Milo's behaviors, difficulties and of course, triumphs.  It really helps on that next visit to the doctor, if you have a running record of problems, etc.  When Milo starts preschool, if he can have an IEP  (individual education plan), right off the bat, that will also help.  Routine is the most important thing for autistic kids.  So set one up for him.  Make foods he likes and things he likes to do the rewards for what you want him to accomplish.  Tantrums are a big deal, and I suggest walking away from him, when they start.  Time out is also a good calmer-downer, if you can get the idea across to him.  I usually make my grandson sit still, by my side, until he calms down a bit.  I wish you all the luck....and please keep us posted......we all care!  Beth100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)