Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new question about asperger

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 242 Total Views

Hi, I am new to this group, I have a son that will be 9 next month.  He will be tested soon for asperger and auditory process disorder.  I have do some research online but seems better to get info from other moms.  What are some symptoms that your kids showed?  Thanks

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
thelmab
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Hi, my ten year old boy is also a aspie. He also has auditory issues. Some of the symptoms that led us to have him tested included: noise aversion, the inability to play with a group unless he was the "leader" , the need to have everything organised before he could "play" with it. Getting fixated on a topic, to the exclusion of everything else.

He will do anything to avoid being around loud noises, the sound of the vacuum sends him running from the house, the sound of wet squeaking sneakers has send him into a meltdown under his desk. We have found that is we can give him some power over the noise he handles it better. I let him run the vacuum now and he seems to be able to handle it. We explained why rubber gets squeaky when it's wet and so far no more meltdowns. The school also got a rug for the doorway of his class.

He loves playing with others but always wants to be the leader. If given a group instruction he will often elect to do something on his own, ignoring everyone else in the room. We tried structured play groups when he was younger, but he always seemed to be off alone doing his own thing. Currently he can play with small groups of kids, but will often get upset if he thinks he is not getting his say. This requires a bit of understanding from his friends, but so far it seems to be working.

When he was younger his play consisted of organising his toys. All the hotwheels had to be sorted according to color, bodystyle, type ...ect, ect. His legos got the same treatment. Currently he does play with things more normally, but he is fixated on building army bases.

When he was younger his fixations were legendary...he lived, breathed and dreamed about them. Every bedtime and social story had to include them somehow. His teachers had to learn about them so that they could get him to write and communicate in class. This is eased up some and his interest doesn't last months. But he does get in interested in a topic and will cram all that he can about it into his head. Thank goodness for the Internet.

I hope this helped. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)