Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freaked out

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 399 Total Views
My 8 yr old ASD son took off on us at our town fair. It was so fast. One second he was there and the he was gone. Someone found him trying to cross the highway to get back to our house. The scarey thing is that he has no idea how serious this was. He just wanted to go home so he left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Scrapmom65
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Sorry you went through that! I know it's very scary to go through! We have had this happen a few times and I almost have a heart attack. Unfortunately, our kids don't understand how dangerous it is to walk away from us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRita
by Group Owner on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

OH Wow, so glad he is ok, this is one trait of Autism that scares me crazy.

twilite2000
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Hi I'm new here and I am sorry this has happened to you. This is what scares me the most about my son who is your sons age. My son has a one track mine when he wants something. At school he saw something outside that he wanted. (the front of the school) His teacher held him back in class to finish some work while the rest of the class went to P.E. After the work was done she then told him to go to P.E.. Someone found him trying to get out the front door. If not for the front door being so heavy he would have made it. Like your son and so many others on here, our children don't realize that what they are doing is wrong no matter how often you tell them. Don't beat yourself up, he is safe now and we have all been through this and probably will again. We just have to believe that things will work out and our children will be safe.

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM

That happened to me three times when Kyle was little , he was in the middleof the street one of the times and a lady was putting him in her car talk about freaking out , nobody even knew what autism was so needless to say the look and  her not wanting to give him back and take him to the police station to let them no what happened OMG ...It was the most  horrible and embarrassed experience of my life and scared to death at the same time .. I had to pick him up at the police station twice .. talk about scaring the living day lights out of me .. Now a days they would probably have locked me up for that crap Ola scary .. doubt if they would have locked me up but no doubt was the worst feeling a mom could ever feel   !!  I have felt that feeling .. it is the worst fear well one of them ..Glad he is ok and you found him .. shake it off and just no that it just takes a minute for them to take off .. He has done this to many many times . Hard to chase them down .. wow .. big hugs to you on this one momma , SO SO GLAD HE IS OK Hope your doing ok too . . My thoughts are with you .. P.S We now have locks on both sides of the doors and a alarm system so this never happens again he is older & has since grew out of it but still never will I rest at ease with out having some kind of back up for sure .. OK I lied took him to the moutains and he took off on me that was the longest weekend of my life ..  

064.gif picture by janicegodbless

dawncs
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I know the feeling. I tend to avoid crowds. I only tried once a Black Friday sale. I do go into crowds once in a while. I also know how to get out of crowds fast, too. It comes from years of practice with a weak immune system. I know I am having problems when I start having leg spasms in my thighs. It only happens when I am sick. I almost have my Juvenille Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis. Only 42 more days to go. I also have Asperger's Syndrome.

Dawn
Disabled Author and freelance writer
http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

4Travis
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Oh so scary!  Travis once took off down the hall at his neurologist office.   Well, the doctor and I heard a door close and when I got there it was a door leading to the outside!  This building was situated on a very busy highway on one side.  And he was nowhere to be seen.  The office got the whole building to help look for him, the police were called and I called in family members.  Over an hour later he was found hiding in a dark office behind a filing cabinet.     When he was in kindergarten he had in-school therapy sessions and he would run away from the therapist, get outside and hide under the cars.  Ughh! He did that 3 times before they moved the location of his sessions to be much farther from a door.  Yeah, we understand your freaked out feeling and pray it never happens again.

I'm very glad he's okay (and you too!).

kitty068
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I have a friend who son runs away, he was gone overnight the police found him in the park the next morning.  Mind you he does not no how to cross the street.  Another time he got on the subway and went to another part of New York some one called the cops when he kept pacing back and forth calling for his mom.  God is definetly with these kids. It is dangerous and scary, so far my son has only went out of the apartment into the hallway, hopefully he will not try to go any further than that but they are so unpredictable.

SuyinMeiyin
by Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Angela,

I'm so sorry that you went through that. I know my 4 yr old daughter would do the same thing if I don't hold on to her when we're out. She does not understand what danger is. I am so glad someone good found him.

Take care, dear.

Choy

Autism33
by Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:53 PM

No sense of danger is the most frightening characteristic of Autism. As you know repetitiion is the key to teaching new skills to children with Autism, and because of how there brain works in children with Autism they are much more visual learners than anything else. If you have not already done so, try making a visual rules chart with 5 basic rules that must be followed or explain there will be consequences. Use pictures or words whatever works best for your child, and go over them every day. Ask questions or that he repeat what they mean to you in his own words to ensure understanding, ask him to tell you what the consequences will be for not following the rules again to be sure they are understood. Resort back to them if he is ever engaging in unsafe behavior that you have previously made and gone over a rule about. You may want to include him in developing it... drawing pictures to match the rules etc., this will give him a sense of ownership over the rules and he will be more likely to follow them. Also be sure to reward him (i.e. verbal praise, special treats etc.) regularly for using a "replacement behaviors" (I.e. You have to ask permission before you walk away from us... ) Explain why it is important he follow these rules (as not to get hurt/lost) and anytime (with or without a reminder) he asks permission praise him, tell him why you are rewarding him... Also often times the best reward is the natural consequence that follows. If he asks to go to the park when he would normally just take off to the playground reward him by saying "thank you for asking so nicely, let me finish up here and we will go to the park together... do you want to bring a ball... etc. Remember repetition is key!

charwoman
by Member on Jun. 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM

omg, I'm so 'there' with you on this one!!  my non-verbal 5 yr old took off on us at the Chicago Autism Walk last month!! absolute terror.  of course, we were surrounded my thousands and thousands of other parents of auties and their kids, so somebody recognized a 'runner' and grabbed him, thank god.  I just started grabbing volunteers and describing him, who in turn alerted security and we had him back in like 10 minutes.  but still, so hard not to be beating myself up over it; I turned around for less than a minute, to say something to my other boy, and BAM, he was lost in the crowd!  God, your kid was trying to cross a highway?!  Mine would have just stepped out into traffic without the slightest thought; he has no concept of 'danger' whatsoever!  the kind of thing a parent will have nightmares about for years to come, I know!!  'freaked out' is even too mild an expression!  I've almost never will even take mine son into a store or other public place other than like a playground, and then, only certain ones that are at least partially fenced off, etc.  His dad (we are not a 'couple',) is constantly nagging me, saying I exclude our son from doing things other kids do, etc. but what the heck?  if its a safety issue, what is more important??!  Stuff like this is just gonna happen sometimes and you hear the stuff about missing kids with autism on the news...  just makes your heart drop out of your chest...  Huge hugs to you!

charwoman

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)