Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 yr old Pdd son, and now my 5 yr old is adhd, baby due soon- help!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

I will preface this by saying i am expecting a 3rd baby, a boy, on sept 4th. My son who is PDD NOS autism labeled has been in a full day, yearlong program thru state of ohio and is doing incredible, making HUGE gains and has not regressed in a year. However, the better he has gotten with basic skills and speech, my daughter, who has always been "spirited" and difficult, loud and dramatic has driven me to the point of almost complete insanity over this past year. Taking h ours to fall asleep, crying at nights, increased anxiety and worries throughout the day, and not listening to anything i correct her on disciplinewise. About 3 mo's ago, it dawned on me, hey- maybe it could be adhd. She is being assessed and the current doc is confident she is adhd and is awaiting a final vanderbilt assessment form before putting her on ritalin. i am hoping this doc and her being on a med will help. i am stretched so thin i am ready to snap and with baby due in 2 mo's. Funny thing is, i had to fight to get any docs to look at son for autismthen go thru a string of them, having same thign with adhd diagnosis. 2 months ago, my family doc sent me to a 'counselor' who was suppposed to screen her, and it ended up being a blame the parent session. I cried that day, then got over it and pursued finding someone else to listen, i just know something is out of whack when your older child seems to go thru the terrible 2's again and your 3 yr old, with autism nonetheless, is more well behaved. Anyone else dealing with adhd that could offer some good advice? I did melatonin, and valerian at nights to relax and induce sleep, but it pooped out after a week or so. she is to start an all day kindergarten in fall, and i run her to dance and gymnastics during the week to help channel her hyperness and for social interaction. When the OB offered me the quadscreen this time around, i said no. it doesn't screen for autism and i'd rather just enjoy pregnancy and the infancy stage after last time. i guess i am hoping for a magic solution, or a really good bandaid fix, before this #3 baby arrives in september. thanks for listening.

mom of  2 gremlins

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Gtochic
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM

look into lutimax...sometimes the L-theanine can be a great calmer

champagnewishes
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

thanks

AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM
My kids are 10 mos apart and just like your two. The younger one does have an add diagnosis. Along with anxiety and depression. He was adopted from foster care so some of the anxiety and depression is from that. He sees a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Many of his brother's ABA ideas work well for him, too. He is on Zoloft and clonidine. There's some question about bipolar disorder. We have no family medical history so we have to look at everything. Unfortunately there are no quick fixes.
I've been there about the autistic child being better behaved than your "typical" child. It's very frustrating. They feed off of each other, too. What works best for us is structure, structure, structure. And breaks away from the kids! Once you have a diagnosis, work with the school for an IEP. She may need help focusing in a group environment.
Try to have her do lots of physical stuff this summer to keep her busy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)