Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you handle the transition?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

Chloe is 9 and has Aspergers. She started her period for the first time in February and its been a challenge for us.  A lot has happened in 2010 -- my divorce was finalized and of course this make two of the big changes.

Yesterday I took Chloe to the dr because of her period.  She is on her period for the 4th time now and I have taken her before too because of how things went.  Before this one she had one short, one kind of long, and one that was way too long.  This one is already a week and a half and I was worried how heavy she keeps bleeding.  Before all the dr said was its normal and over time she will outgrow it. This time she said she is anemic and needs to take some iron but she will outgrow it eventually.  She didn't have any great solutions for stopping accidents during the day besides more changing, but she told me to buy Goodnites and use that for Chloe for bed.  Its for kids who wet the bed but works good for heavy periods. Has anyone been through this or tried that?  I feel like my hair will all be gray in a few more days or else I will just pull it all out!  I am getting so frustrated.  What about suggestions for how to cut down on day time messes especially those that get to her clothes?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Have her hormones been tested? I've had the same problem for the past 30 years and ended up having PCOS. I have to use Kotex overnight pads all of the time and have had to use folded cloth diapers occasionally for "gushing". Has she seen a gynecologist? I would suggest she should, if not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRita
by Group Owner on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I would definitely get her hormones tested, they can do a spit test now, it's very simple. This does not sound normal to me at all. I had this problem severely before I had my hysterectomy in my 30's.  Good luck Mama!

Japop
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Is your daughter on any medications?  Sometimes kids take medications for their symptoms of ASD and it can cause increased bleeding and irregular periods.  I am an OB/Gyn and have dealt with this issue in my practice.  It is also not uncommon for children to have irregular periods when they first get it, but, it usually is an issue of irregular periods, not heavier.  So, one way to diminish bleeding is to take motrin 400mg around the clock every 6 hours during the first two days.  Another common method is birthcontrol pills.  It regulates the period and makes the bleeding lighter.  Just some thoughts for your Gyn to consider.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)