Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child's OCD/Anxiety is at an all time high

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

I just took my son off of paxil 2nd day now without no pill and it is hell.  I know the paxil was working for him, but it was increasing obsessions which is why we took him off, it did work for his anxiety though.  We have only been up with him for 2 hours and I'm wondering how we are going to get through this day. My doctor wanted to try luvox or lexapro with him, I'm waiting for my lutimax to arrive to see if that helps.  He is already on risperdal and I really don't want him on more meds, we have done supplemental and they when they work only work for a short time.  Anyone  have any advice

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Did you wean him off slowly? You are one brave lady. I can't stand it if my son is more than an hour late for his meds. 2 days is a level of Hell I just don't want to contemplate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gtochic
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Yeah he was only on paxil for 3 months at 10mg and 15 for 2 weeks.  We weaned him how the Dr. said by half.  Friday was the first day without any...yikes

AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM
I'm not very familiar with Paxil, but I would think it would take a couple of weeks to exit his system. We were told Zoloft, and Prozac can stay in the system for up to 6 weeks. Hang in there. It will probably get worse before it gets better. I've had to go off of one med before switching to another and it was awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

The best thing you can do right now while he is adjusting to med. changes is to have as much structured routine as possible to your day. A lot of anxiety comes from not knowing what is going to happen or what is expected of him. The more predictable everything is, the better he will adjust. You have to be rigid about the routine- exact same times for meals (breakfast on the table at exactly 8:00 am for example), snacks, bath time, bed time, etc. Picture schedules help and social stories might help too if you have doctor's or therapy appointments or errands throughout the week. He will respond well to "We will do this and then we will do that" types of statements. Try giving him some fidget toys to play with too- maybe tie them to his belt or something- something he really likes that you know brings him comfort- a hand held fan, flashlight, squeeze ball, etc. It has also been proven that exercise helps brain function in general and helps burn off some of the excess stress. Try taking some long walks in a quiet park, running it out at the playground, or feeding the ducks at a local pond. My son ejoys being in the pool but some kids might hate that for sensory reasons, a nice long bath is sometimes relaxing too. And, watch the diet while he's detoxing. Avoid highly processed foods, lots of sugar and caffeine like the plague. Increase the vitamin C, as vitamin C cleans out the liver and helps boost the immune system. Good luck and hang in there, I know this is tough. It will pass! Big hugs!

justinsmom841
by Member on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM
Hi
ireally agree with destiny
I'm not familiar with paxil but my son is on adderrall and boy when he is not on... Is hell
but ido everything that destiny recomends and is true
very structure about scheduehle
meds
exercise ,swimimg
walking the dog , he feels so much better ithink my son has anxiety as. Well , but idont put him on more meds
he is13
hetakes adderall for hyperactivity
and clonidine for sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christi1211
by Member on Jul. 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I use to take luvox for my OCD and I would not recommend it at all. I had horrible side effects when I weaned off just an FYI =)

Gtochic
by Member on Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Lutimax is working for us now and it is natural

AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Glad you made it through AND found something that works :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)