Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phase... or shoudl I be worried?? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 241 Total Views

Background:  My eight year old has HFA and is smart as a whip. He does of course have the social issues and such but usually does pretty good. He is one of those kids that does not seem to notice the personal space and in all in your face at all times. He has had therapy for years and his speech has improved to the point of him being discharged from school speech. We are on a waiting list for outside speech because he also has expressive-receptive language disorder. When we are talking he tends to pause before answering you and speaks in short and to the point sentences. But, in general, he talks a lot....

In the past few months he has started chewing everything in sight. It is driving me crazy. We have taken all of his small toys because we are afraid of choking. Well, we are finally getting use to this, but in the last month I guess, I have started to notice that he really dont talk that much. He does the pointing when he wants things or "ugh" and sits quietly for long periods of time. He has always been in everyones face and for this last little bit, (like last night) I had a freind over and we went to dinner just me her and DS and he never spoke one word to her, like she wasn't even there. This is so unlike him and I don't know what to make of it. Also, yesterday going down the road, he fixed the vents in my truck like 50 times on our trip to see my DH. The air was on and if the vents are pointing straight, they hit you dead in the face, so I kept pointing them up or down so it didnt take my breathe. Every few minutes he would reach up and make them straight. I finally just turned the air off and rolled the windows down. He has never been like this until recently.Also during this time, he has started ONLY wearing plain white t-shirts. He wont wear any other kinds of shirts.... Has any of you went thru this? Is it just a phase or should I be worried?

Autism is not a tragedy..... Ignorance is!!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
destiny29
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Unfortunately, with autism, behaviors can develop and disappear at any time. He does sound agitated about something for such a big flare up of behaviors to start when they weren't there before. I would call and make a doctor's appointment and rule out a medical problem that maybe he can't express or doesn't know how to express. Chewing comes with a few different issues- including a vitamin deficiency or something as simple as a loose tooth. I have found chewing gum helps my son when he gets nervous so he chews on the gum and not his shirt.

With the lack of communication, I would consider something I learned from the Son-Rise method. I don't usually advocate their stuff because I don't know enough about it but they are right on this one- every once in a while you have to join his world instead of demanding he join ours. What I mean by that is go and spend some time daily with him doing what HE wants to do. If he's on the floor w/ a choo-choo, grab another choo-choo and play with him. If he's into the vents, take 5-10 minutes and discuss all the things vents do or play a game trying to spot them on different objects. Sometimes, kids get the idea that they have to change because we don't like them for who they are. W/ autism, this can make a child "shut down completely." I bet if you give him those 15 minutes every day for a week, he'll start opening up and wanting to talk to you again.

Good luck. I'm sure the other ladies here will have great suggestions too. Hugs! 

angieland2010
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Yes this is normal. My son goes through phases like this as well. He randomly mouths different objects. He also goes through phases where he will be in everyone's face and then other days it's like he is a ghost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)