Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Encouragement/Discouragement

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

I am incouraged that my Autistic twins are improving.  Autumn initiates thing that she needs now, making better eye contact,  alittle more aware of her brother and sister,  does not stay with one fixation for hours.  Tristan had tripled his vocabulary, is following some simple commands and is an all around great kid.  I just wish some days that the progress would go faster and not require so much time and effort.  Autumn does not answer when you call her name nor does she come.  So when I go somewhere, I have to do a head count every 10 seconds on my kids.  The most common question asked in our house is "where's Autumn" bc you have to find her she will not come and find you.  2 weeks ago Tristan fell on the playground and was limping and I had to strip his clothes and pat him down to see if he was seriously hurt and where because he can't tell me yet.  I'm encouraged by their progress but i'm exhausted at the same time feeling like I could collapse at any minute of the day.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
twins0506
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM

hang in there i know exactly how u feel. for the 1st time this morning izaiah signed to me he wanted "more" cheese doodles. we have been working with him on that for awhile now. dezmond still isnt doing it yet. i know what you mean though because i feel good that hes slowly catching on but then its the same with them they dont respond to their name and like you said its just not moving fast enough. its a looonnnnggg road and thats all i keep saying to myself. we can get through it.

dawncs
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I know it is rough having Autistic twins. However, the nice thing about it is that each milestone is that much sweeter because they did it in their own time. In time, you will discover their own talents to share with others.

Dawn
Beautiflly talented Autistic Freelance Writer and Social Story Author
Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (May 5, 1997) as an adult
Soon to be diagnosed with Juvenille Rheumatoid Arthritis (bones and muscles)
Team USA Bound for Athletics in Greece

http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

Kate00
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Hi -

We're working on the coming and finding me thing too.  If Will wants something, he'll just say where he is and keep repeating what he wants louder and louder.  Will won't come when I call him either, so I found something that works for me if I'm looking for him ... I'll yell "Will, say 'here I am'".  He'll say it every time, although I have to follow the sound of his voice to actually find him.

That's great that your kids are doing so well!

twinmom_of_3
by Member on Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

thanks to all 3 of you who replied the encouragement and tips are very uplifting and fill my heart with warm fuzzies.  I guess we all have to keep up the hard work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)