Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the sound of Crying

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 466 Total Views

Hello cafemom friends,

It has been awhile since I have been on here.  I have been so busy with my boys, Sunday School and starting an autism support group in my area.  But when I have a question, I always know where to come, here on cafemom.  My question or concern is my youngest son Andrew, he is 6yrs. old.  He is in the Sunday school class that I teach.  We have a new boy in our class who gets very upset when his mother leaves.  When Andrew see or hears a baby or child cry he gets upset as well.  The first couple of times an aid in my class would take the new boy to his mother.  She asked that we quit doing that becasue he starts Kdg. next year and she wants him to get use to being in class without her.  So, last Sunday he stayed and started crying before he even came into the classroom.  Andrew did not only get upset but threw a major tantrum, I never seen him act this way before.  He was smacking himself and me, kicking off his shoes and throwing himself on the floor, banging his head against my chest.  I could not control him for the first time ever!  I hate the fact that I may have to put him on meds.  Any suggestions?  any at all?  Thanks in advance.

Tina

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tools22
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Hi there...my 4 1/2 year old is on the spectrum....he was in a spec. ed classroom last year and his teacher said he would become very aggitated when a classmate would cry and it would take awhile to calm him down. Sorry, no advice for you...but wanted to let you know you are not alone. Hugs!

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Well thanks, I was beginning to think that my son was the only who cried when someone else did.  What did the teacher do for your son?(Tools22)

melissarose72
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM

My son used to get very upset when anyone cried (he's 3.5). Over time, I guess it got better. He still gets upset, but I haven't seen him start crying because another child does, in a while. Then again, he's basically non-verbal, so I'm not sure if he still gets so upset in school. His sensitivity to noise seems to have changed, or the way he reacts to it has changed a bit.

hopeful77
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I have a 2 year old son with autism and he goes into a complete meltdown anytime he hears crying.  i have a six week old infant so you can just imagine how many times in one day he goes into meltdowns.  it is so bad that on weekends when husband is home i have to pretty much stay upstairs all day with the newborn and keep my 2 year old downstairs with his dad just to get a break from the crying.  I cant offer any advice but i know how frustrating it is.

VisualThinker
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Our son used to get upset also and would actually attempt to hit any child that was crying because the noise bothered him so much.  Fortunately we always stopped him before he hit anyone.  What has worked for us is to have some headphones for him that he can put on.  You could either use noise cancellation headphones, some that play music, or just plain old construction headphones.   They work like a charm.  I have known several other autistic children that use these at loud dances, etc.   Since you are the teacher in there, it should be fairly easy to put them on him as soon as the noise starts.   Maybe you could have him get used to the headphones at home before he has to try them in a stressful situation.

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

thanks, actually in his old school they did use the headphones, which I guess helped out.  But his new teacher here is trying to teach him new ways to respond to a child crying, which for a while was helping.  But I think in my Sunday school class I will try the headphones and see if it will help, it can't hurt!  Thanks again!  I know there is a way, just got use the trial and error methods to we find out what works!

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I could really use some more suggestions, please!

MamaGlitterBug
by Group Admin on Jul. 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Perhaps you remove him from the room for a few mins to calm back down. Deep pressure therapy helps when they are overstimulated.If he's verbal or has any form of communication skills then ask why he cries. If you know specifically why, you can help more.Have you modified his diet to help with behavior? 

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM

@MamaGlitterBug

He has some verbal communication.  But we have asked and asked why he cries or why it makes him upset and we get no response from him except whinning.  Removing him is not always an option for me.  Since I am the only adult in the room of eight kids ranging from 18 months to 6 yrs old(he is the oldest).  I have not modified his diet, but have often wondered if that would make a difference.   Where do you stand and some of the other moms reading this where do you stand on the diet??  Thanks for your help!

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Also I would like some imput on Meds.  How many parents use them and what kinds and how much and do they help.  Andrew's teacher's concern is that if we put him on meds he might loose all the good that he has made.  He has been more verbal, participation has been excellent and other than getting upset when he hears crying, has made great improvement!  His teacher also seems to think that is not just the noise, because sometimes he will just watch this boy at school and wait like he is anticipating on him crying.  He will sometimes repeat every word this child says and gets angry.  He also does this with his brother at home.  Chris does not even have to be talking to him and he will watch Chris and when he says something, Andrew will repeat it start bouncing in his chair and screaming.  What's up with that??? Oh, how I wish I knew!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)