Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone tell me how to explain what autism is?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

My son is 11yrs old, non-verbal autistic and when family members or curious people ask what is autism exactly I never no quite what to say...Can anyone give me advise as to how I can explain to people what it is exactly?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Growing2Fast
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM

That question is short and sweet, but the answer never is!

There is a book that is a quick read called "41Things To Know About Autism" by Chantal Sicile-Kira.  Reading it will help to give you a breakdown of what it is.  It's also great to pass off to family members/close friends to have them read over.

Short answer:  Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.  Then warn them, if they want more information they'll be opening a can of worms.

~JEN~family car

You may have tangible wealth untold; Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be -- I had a mother who read to me.

twins0506
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM

i like that answer : ) something i probably wouldnt remember since when someone asks me a question and im caught off guard i stumble over my words.  

Quoting Growing2Fast:

That question is short and sweet, but the answer never is!

There is a book that is a quick read called "41Things To Know About Autism" by Chantal Sicile-Kira.  Reading it will help to give you a breakdown of what it is.  It's also great to pass off to family members/close friends to have them read over.

Short answer:  Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.  Then warn them, if they want more information they'll be opening a can of worms.

Tina258
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I always say Autism is a widespread spectrum, that causes our children's brain to act differently than other children.  There are no two alike.  Each child is unique in their own way.  Autism effects the way they may speak but more over all autism effects their socializing.  They have to be taught what comes naturally to most children, like how to share, how they feel, how to use their words and how to tell a joke, how to pretend and how to hug.  Think about the 5 senses and how they work for you.  For a child with autism their senses are always in overload.  Sounds you may not notice can drive them to a meltdown, smells can cause them to be sick, sight they may be listening to you but not looking at you, some will only eat certain things the texture of the food can even make them gag.  And touch thats the big one the slightest touch can be very painful to a child with autism.  Autism is a disturbance in our children's behaviors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)