Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cant seem to poo in the potty for the life of him

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

So my son Ashlin is doing great, he is finally peeing in the potty constantly, for maybe the last couple of months, my problem is that he will NOT go poo in the potty. I everyday clean out his underwear. This is a problem because he will be going into the four year old preschool soon ( special ed of course ) and they may want to put him back in diapers but when I do that he regresses and pees in the diaper too. I can hope for the best and just hope he doesnt poo for the three and a half hours that he is there, but I know that one poo accident in underwear and the school may say no more of that. Any suggestions. Ashlin will be four in November. Thanks :)

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM
It's actually pretty typical. Does he poop at or near the same time each day? If he's afraid to poop on the potty, then you could just put him in a pullup around then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gtochic
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM

we used bribery with austin and finally found the right one and he pooped in the potty.  He still has times where he gets too overstimulated from toys and does I slight skid but then poops the rest in the potty.

butterflyrose80
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Emma took for ever to poo in the potty. We took her completly out of pull ups when she was 3-3 and a half b/c she would pee and poo in them if she had one on.

She would scream about having to poo in the potty and would just hold it.  We gave her a favorite candy (sour patch kids) if she pooped in the potty. Pooping in the potty was the only way she could get this treat. She does pretty good now.  She at times still has trouble going poop, but for the most part she is good. We only giive her the treat if she reminds us now. She is 5 now.

Good luck!

MamaGlitterBug
by Group Admin on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM

It took us two years from time he learned to pee to master poo in potty. It's pretty common for our kids to struggle in this area because of the sensory issues.

It wasn't until literally three months ago my son went poo after me telling him (he's obsessed with Octopuses now) that he had to poo in potty to feed the fish at the end of the toilet. The fish are eaten by the octopuses. If you don't go poo in there, all those octopuses will be hungry and die. Few hours later, he was pooing in potty and hasn't worn a pull up since, not even at night.

I'm Jess...wife to Jared...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 10, Amethyst  7 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 5 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 3.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

MamaKarrot
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM

We cloth diaper our youngest daughter (20 months) so with my 4 year old son, he wore cloth "pull-ups." 

He never wanted to pee in it because it felt like underwear, it was waterproof and contained poop just in case.

Two weeks of those and he decided he was tired of pooping his pants, haha. 

These are what we had: (the overnight underwear)

http://www.motherofeden.com/for_youth.php

Might be worth a shot! :)

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hey you , I put sticker's all around the toilet for Kyle , showed him how to push with making the noises myself and letting him see me while he was sitting on the toilet .. You have come a long ways with the wipe;s  yah !! so he should soon be on his way momma . best of luck to you .. the school will help they did with my son ..  

stacigaddis1
by Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hey thanks everyone for your responses. Yes I tried rewards and it doesnt work, I honestly after talking to our ABA therapists think he doesnt even understand the concept so we are trying to have his sister poo in the potty and have him watch then its his turn. Then we will draw pics of him in all stages of him going poo. He never poos around the same time but he doesnt like the feeling as I found poo all over my walls of him trying to get it off of him ewww lol oh the joys right :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)