• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should i ask?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 269 Total Views
i am really upset they didnt put andrew in the school i wanted him in..if i want to put him on the waiting list for this school he wont be able to go to school till their is a opening..so i kept him in the school i really dont want him in just so he can at least get some schooling. so we have to do a home study where i will meet his teacher. i was already told she hasnt done no study on autsim but she does understand it cause all teachers learn about it at one point while they are in school. I really wanna ask some questons like what is going to happen if andrew has a melt down..but i dont know what to ask..HELP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
butterflyrose80
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Hello.

In many school programs that teach teachers they may mention some about autism. However it is such a large and complicated disability label it is hards to really learn and understand about it without getting additional training. In the school district I work they work very hard to train our autism teachers. They go to several trainings a year.  When a special education teacher is going through their schooling they typically learn about many diabilities and strategies that will help the wide arange of disabilities. I took many classes on behavior. Some an learning strategies. We also had to learn about general education as well. Any great teacher will research and learn more about the disabilities of his/her students. Many of us will have the high functiong students on our caseloads since they generally are in the regular classroom and need supports.

I would ask the teacher about their experiences with children on the spectrum. I would also ask about their behavior management system. Most us are taught that every behavior has a function and you need to replace negative behavior with positive or more accepted behavior. Try to describe your son's meltdown and ask what they school can and will do during these melt downs. Ask about social skills training as well, what will it look like. Many teachers are not trained in how to teach social skills, they are left to figure it out. Also offer to help the teacher and give strategies that you know work well for your son.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Also keep in mind the teachers often have the best intrest of the child heart, they do the best they can with the trainning the have gotten and what the school gives them. School system often don't make it easy to be a SPED teacher, but we do our very best to help our students grow.

Good Luck!!

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM

teacherAsk anything and everything you want....and don't be shy.  Ask if the school has a nurse on staff, ask if therapists are allowed in the classroom/school, to work with your child.  Is there a "time out" area, in case your child has a meltdown....and ask to see it...and make suggestions.  Offer to send things that will calm the child, if time out is needed.  Be sure to ask if you are welcome to drop in and check on your child's progress, comfort, whatever you are concerned about.  Don't forget that you the taxpayer pays for the school, staff, etc.......you have a vested interest....even if you didn't have an autistic child.  Sit down with your husband and come up with a list of questions to ask & make sure you take it with you.  (It would be just like me to leave it home on the kitchen counter...LOL)  Go get em mama......we are behind you all the way!

Beth100

Tina258
by Member on Aug. 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM

First my heart goes out to you because my youngest is named Andrew also!  He is in a very good class, and his teacher is wonderful, I could not ask for more.  But I have been there when things were not so great.  Chris who is 11 months older than Andrew, both mild to moderate autistic, had a rough year, last year.  He was doing so well in his special ed class that we decided to mainstream him into a regular class part time.  The teacher made it very clear that she did not want him in there and she was not a babysitter, it was just awful.  He is now is a much better class and is doing great.  My point however, is that it is the TEACHER, that makes the difference.  I hope you get a GOOD one, just because they are "trained" in autism does not mean they have a clue when it actually comes down to it.  You should have an IEP meeting and make sure you set the rules don't let them push you into anything you are not comfortable with.  Ask what they do for redirection, this should be the first thing that they do during a behavior issue.  Ask if there is a "safe room" for him to go to, this is a room they should have set up at school for kids to go if they are having a meltdown.  Does he have an aide or "shawdow" to be with him?  Someone who is going to be there to show him pecs if needed?

Do not sign anything until you are completely comfortable and remember you are entitled to schedule a new IEP meeting at ANYTIME!  You do not have to wait the 3 to 6 months.

Take a notbook with you and any other person that might be help to you, if you have a small recorder you may want to take that to and record the whole meeting.  Ask everything that comes to mind, don't hesitate!   I wish you all the best of Luck!good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)