• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 217 Total Views

Hello all. I have never posted here so here goes. I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids. I have a 9 yr old daughter, 3 yr old son and a 5 mos old son. My 3 yr old was diagnosed with Autism with sever delays in May. I do believe that he was born Autistic. There is no history known of in my or Hubby's family of Autism. I say that but there is little known on one certain side of the family and I have a huge family so who knows. I am really just like many of you and really trying to get an understanding, support and suggestions as to what to do from here. Hubby just told me like 2 weeks ago that he still hasn't come to terms with it yet. My thoughts are is this why I am doing all the research, the one other than his older sibling that really works with him. He is in a Special Ed Pre K class and I am still on the fence wondering if this is helping. I could go on and on. I know that it is free and he gets to see a OT and ST there so I guess I shouldn't complain, I know that he needs so much more but we don't have the money right now. I am gonna get in contact with a local support group and hopefully things will look brighter soon. Thanks for listening.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
melissarose72
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Welcome to the group.

My only child is 3 1/2. This is his second year of special ed preschool (when we lived in VA, they let kids start preschool any time after age 2. My son was 2 1/2 when school started last year). I think it does help. Or maybe it's everything combined (speech, ot, aba). My feelings are the more people working with my son, the better. (within reason, as long as he's not over-scheduled & has time to unwind).

Things take longer than I'd like (his speech issues, etc), but one day it's a surprise....wow, he's now *trying* to say words (even if you can't understand them) & he's more willing to try to communicate (even if I keep having to prompt him). Amazing. So don't give up. The few times he's able to say mama correctly (instead of saying baba or bama or not having a name for me at all), makes my heart jump. It's worth all the wait & work & therapy.

There's a lot of experience & good advice on Cafe Mom. I hope you enjoy it here.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM

waveHi and welcome to the group.  I am so sorry that you are feeling at a loss.  However, don't be dismayed that your hubby has not accepted the facts about your son's disability.  Most men have a hard time with that one.  In time, I feel he will come around.  I do applaud your intentions of joining a support group.  Maybe, at some time you can drag your husband along.  Do all the research you can and learn as much as possible about autism in general...it will help a lot.  Meantime if you have any pressing questions, please feel free to ask this group...there are so many wonderful mommas here with a lot of experience.    I would trust these gals with anything!  I'm Gramma to a wonderful autistic boy.  Autism is a disability, but a child who has autism often turns out to be a huge blessing.  Beth100 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)