Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so frustrated right now regaurding school

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

we recently had an IEP mmeting and they told us even though Zack is progressing beautifully in pre-school, he will have to do another year in pre-school all bercause his birthday falls in october. he learns at an exceptional rate and absolutely loves school but I want him to progress through the grades as he is academically

~ TAYLOR~

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Aidansmom213
by Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I know you are frustrated about this but, even though he is ready academically its not a bad idea to keep him in another year to be the same age as the other kids. Also he may be academically ahead but he will mature a little in the next year and thats always a good thing for kids on the spectrum.

KatieLeigh1984
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I understand the frustration, but it is what is best. Hunter has Asperger's and is in a 1st grade classroom, but reads at a 5th grade level and does 3rd-4th grade math. Academically he is way ahead of his grade, but emotionally is actually behind. I would ask if they can accommodate any one on one time to challenge him more so he doesn't get bored. That was our issue in Kindergarten, he got bored and things turned bad until we moved him to the alternative school that he currently attending.

dawncs
by Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Have you thought about he missed the kindergarten cut off date? In most cases, it is set by the state. Unfortunately, they do not make adjustments for children to bypass the law. The cutoff date varies from state to state.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

rocknrazrbld
by Member on Dec. 11, 2010 at 6:38 AM

it is the cut off date which is rediculous. he is going to be 6 in kindergarten instead of 5. I was told when we put him in pre K it was gonna be 2 yrs in pre k now he is gonna need 3 yrs of not going further in his schooling any further then finger painting and learning his abc's and counting to 10. but we HAD to put him in pre k or we would lose O.T and speach. which he isnt even getting OT at this school. his old school district was gonna send him to kindergarten next year but now he has another year of pre k. it irritates me I feel like their holding him back from progressing. this is just frustating cause i know he is good enough to move on acedemically. his real need is in OT and they will not put him in O.T. I have a kid who eacause of his sensory stuff will rock all night to the point i have to let him sleep on the couch because he also has to bump his head into something aas well and usually its the wall. its 3:30 am now and he is still awake doing it. and they say he doesnt need OT. but thats another rant for another day. Im soooo not happy with this school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)