Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for all you momma's

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 370 Total Views

My son currently attends preschool, and when he is not there he is home with me.  But how many of you moms out there put your child in daycare?  I have not been able to find anyone in my area that offers care that is trained to deal with a child that has autism.  Is this a common problem across the country and into other areas or are there cities that have day cares equipped to handle autistic children.  I read another mothers post and could tell that she was extremely frustrated and was wondering if most moms out there are faced with this issue.  Would love everyone's feedback, stories about things that have happened while their child was in childcare, and stories of successful programs that really work and make you feel safe leaving your child there.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LadyLuxy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I have always been at home with my boys when they're not at school. I'm a sahm now but did work part time while they were in school and was always off before they got home. So no. I've never put my kids in daycare. Actually, aside from 1 time I've never even had a babysitter that wasn't my mom or brother. That one time was a lady who had known Logan since birth and had experience working with special needs children. I am just very leary of day cares and I just can't bring myself to trust Logan with just anyone. He's 7 now and I still would be very picky if I had to find a babysitter.

If you are looking for one though, have you looked into church run daycares? I have heard of a few that have special needs classes in my area but have never looked into them.

Aidansmom213
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I know a girl who works at a daycare and they have a child on the spectrum....only one though. i'll ask.

krisrchris
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to find an in-home daycare that was wonderful.  It is a very comfortable, non-demanding environment and a very loving daycare provider with only a couple other kids there.  It has worked out great!  Good luck to you.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

confusedI have never seen a daycare that will take autistic kids.  It is a pity that we cannot find someone to help w/ our kids, but let's face it.........most people are not equipped to do that.  Respite care is a joke!  Our local autism group tried to get our local college to have students given credits or extra credit for classes in order to get some respite care for autistic kids.  Sadly, to no avail!  Respite care is supposed to be available, but where one can find it is a mystery.  If your child is in extra therapy, that seems to be the only break available.  Beth100

mrs.wondergem
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM

The main reason that I was wondering was that I was interested in what kind of need exsists.  I know that there is nothing in my area.  Dont get me wrong.....when you cal the director always says that they accomodate everyone but when you ask who anomg their teachers has training that would enable them to care for a child with Autism, there is never one individual.  I was unsure if this was a universal problem or something that existed only in my area....As a person going into Education and also the mother of an Autistic child I was interested to see who people entrusted with their children.  I am 6 credits away from my Associates Degree in Early Elementry Ed and then plan to work towards my bachelors in Special Education.  It seems to me that if you are a single parent you would be in dire straits should you have a child with autism, and yet I meet many single parents with Autistic Children.  Who do they manage?  You have to work in that situation and so it seems to me that there should be more support out there for these parents.  Thank you all for you input.  It is greatly appreciated.  you rock

stillstandin246
by Member on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM

After searching every daycare in my town, I finally found one who answered my question, what would you do if my daughter had a seizure? in a way I was satisfied with. (she is high functioning PDD NOS but had a seizure when she was 2)  The director told me they have never had an autistic child but they were willing to try and she was very nice about it.  It was a warm caring environment so I went for it and was very lucky.  One of the teachers even started taking classes so she could learn how to deal with autistic kids.  Sometimes you can find in home daycare where they have had experience with autistic kids.  Have you tried to find a childcare referral program in your area? Its a difficult problem we face, on top of everything else, and I wish you luck. 

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

If you are going into special ed, I think I can say that there is a HUGE need.  My daughter was never able to attend church, (which was very inportant to her).  Forget going out to lunch with a friend or her spouse........it always ended up in a huge meltdown and leaving the restaurant as quickly as possible, with head hung low.  Parents of normal children and the general public has no idea how to respond to an autistic child.  Parents can't find a break anywhere.........this has caused so much pain...............for instance, my daughter who is bi-polar in the first place, had to give her son up to foster care...........There are sooooo many instances of this type of outcome......the families need help and relief desperately and respit care is NOT available to most people!  Thank you for caring.........Beth100

ShadowRaven
by Member on Feb. 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Ds has never been in daycare, but there was time last year that we were going to enroll him so that I could go back to work for Xmas money.

The facility that we were going to enroll him in is called a PPEC, Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care. It's actually a medical facility, with nurses and doctors on staff/call, in a daycare setting. They provide services for special needs kids, which can be anything from Autism to cancer. They are trained in certain things such as joint compression and brushing therapies, they have sensory and therapy equipment, and they work very closely with our early intervention program so that kids can receive speech/occupational/etc therapies while they are at the daycare. They accept insurance, so that parents aren't having to pay an obscene amount out-of-pocket, and if a child has Medicaid, it will pay for the services in full as long as the parent(s) are working or going to school.

I was actually really excited about ds going there, but the job didn't work out as planned.

http://www.thekidzclub.cc/aboutus.php

mrs.wondergem
by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

OMG This is exactly the type of program I am interested in.  Thank you so much for this post!!!!you rock

Quoting ShadowRaven:

Ds has never been in daycare, but there was time last year that we were going to enroll him so that I could go back to work for Xmas money.

The facility that we were going to enroll him in is called a PPEC, Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care. It's actually a medical facility, with nurses and doctors on staff/call, in a daycare setting. They provide services for special needs kids, which can be anything from Autism to cancer. They are trained in certain things such as joint compression and brushing therapies, they have sensory and therapy equipment, and they work very closely with our early intervention program so that kids can receive speech/occupational/etc therapies while they are at the daycare. They accept insurance, so that parents aren't having to pay an obscene amount out-of-pocket, and if a child has Medicaid, it will pay for the services in full as long as the parent(s) are working or going to school.

I was actually really excited about ds going there, but the job didn't work out as planned.

http://www.thekidzclub.cc/aboutus.php

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)