Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suspension

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

My son got suspended for three days for pushing, he is on an IEP so I am wondering is him pushing another student, justifiable for them to suspend him?

Back ground story: My son was walking into class, saw another student at his desk who was unplugging my son's laptop and about to walk out of the class room with it, my son ran over grabbed the laptop at the same time as he pushed the other student...

When questioned the other student said that he thought it was his laptop, although according to my son the student does not have class in the same room as him...

I have no clue what to do, many of my family members feel I should fight his suspension, what do You all think?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LadyLuxy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I would be fighting this especially if it was his first offence. Was the pushing intentional by the way or was it an accident from trying to grab the computer? Did it happen in a regular class room or a CDC class room? I would definitely be up there asking questions. Like does the other kid have class in that room and even if he did why was he at your son's desk? I think suspension is a little harsh just for a push over him defending his property. 

On a side note is there anyway you can personalize his laptop with his name or something so this doesn't happen again? 

Aidansmom213
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I would try to get to the bottom of it, because you don't want your son to get a bad reputation with the teachers, then they'll blame everything on him

Leopardmom
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Technically, it was not his first offense, more like his third. He has gotten into two arguments previously that lead into physical altercations and he was sent home from school for those. He has a very tough time understanding social cues and certain things that happen when he is around his peers.

His first reaction seems to be to push or get physical, instead of using his words. Yes, he intentionally pushed the other student, when we asked him why he said "what else should I have done -he was taking my stuff." We explained to him that he should have asked the other student what he was doing and should not have put his hands on the other student. His response " he did not think of that."..

Yes, it was a regular class room and no the other kid does not have class in that room. The laptop is technically the schools, it is on loan to my son for the duration of the school year, so I am not sure how much personalization that they are able to do.

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

If your son has an IEP you have a good opportunity to fight this!  Just tell the principal that you want an IEP meeting scheduled.  Try to get some support.....whether it be teacher, another student, therapists, whatever or whomever to take to the meeting with you.  I think we really need to defend our kids, because they are already disadvantaged.  I don't think it ever does any good to let things slide.  I wish you the best of luck!  Beth100

Aidansmom213
by Member on Feb. 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I was thinking about this after I replied the first time and reading that this wasn't your son's first offense.  This is a very touchy and tough issue. In one hand ..he is autistic ( as is mine) and we understand their difficulties with impulse control. We always need and have to take this type of behavior  seriously..deal with it..try to teach them how to handle it better the next time, and just move on.  On the other hand...we have to put ourselves in the other childs and their parents place....how would WE feel  if another child at school were to do this to OUR child.......ahhhhhh, there within lies the dilema.  ( my spelling sucks..lol)  so, this is sort of a no win situation. We have to and always will defend our children even if their behavior is inappropriate....but a solution has to be found , a fairness has to occur in order to keep all , including our autistic kids safe and in school.   I'd like to know how does he act at home...does he hold it together better at home because of less stress, then the stimulation at school acts out due to that fact.  It's common for these children to be either calm at school (white knuckling it the whole day..like my son) then let loose at home. The reverse can apply also...keep it together at home....act out at school . Do you have a wraparound service for your son ...TSS , Bsc, mobile therapist ect. ?    If so ask if you can have a TSS be present in his classes ( not so obvious so as it would draw attention to him having one there. , but just maybe sitting in the back , sort of keeping an eye on him. Then if his behavior makes a turn for the worse....the TSS could quiet like ..remove him and proceed to calm him down..let him vent..have some quiet time. My son has a pre-assigned "safe" room for him to get himself together if he becomes overwhelmed.  I hope this has helped, please let us know what is going on....we are all here for you and are concerned .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)