Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with 11 year old autistic child

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 466 Total Views

Hi...My name is Sarah...I am  new to this group, but not to autism....my son is non-verbal, and also has a chromosome disorder as well that just complicated things even more. Recently, Sam, who is 11, has been very very stimmy..verbally in the form of high pitched screaming, and physically in the form of eye rolling, face slapping, head rubbing and clapping. He is not on any meds except for some clonidine at night and melatonin for sleep....we have tried MANY meds in the past and the side effects were always worse that the outcome of the med itself, so 1.3 years ago I pulled him off everything, and he potty trained after 8 years of trying..also he met all his iep goals in 3 months and learned to use a fork and spoon, and buckle his own seatbelt....unfortunately, we were left with a very loud child, and nothing I have tried has helped him...the only time he is quiet and non stimmy for any period of time is at school, and when he is very ill. He is on a very strict diet also, (see profile) recently, he has been having very very clammy hands...not cold clammy, but warm...and he has been mastubating alot more....could testosterone be causing this??? or what could all the extra energy be?? he also eats NON STOP....but is not the slightest bit overweight. I love my kid to death, but some of the behaviors are concerning to me and I don't know how to make them better...my husband says it's all in his diet, but i'm not so sure

Any ideas or feedback is appriciated.

Sarah

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
justinsmom841
by Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM
I got an answer x you i's normal he i's getting older, all boys do this ...
With or without disability
My son is13 and he does that sometimes too, do not freak out !
However explain i's normal to do this i'n private like i'n the bathroom , not i'n public .
I'm going trough taugh times too w my teen severe autistic teen so iunderstand you mote than you know
The stimimg i's part of autism , healthy eating , i's great however idont think to strict diet i's good ..
I'm a trainer and nutritionist my son i's on meds because other wise i's impossible for him to focus or even learn ,, his thoughts and mind are everywhere if not medicated ,
I'm not a fan of meds , I'm all about healthy , but this kids severe cases do need it .
Mine does... He can focus, he can learn, he eats healthy , but not restrictive , mood s are good because he gets a variety so he is happier , if you get to strict w foods it can affect behavior ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Head Admin on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Hi Sara, my heart goes out to you momma.  My first question is do you have a DAN doctor?  And second, what is his diet like currently?  Sounds like your son has some GI issues for sure, pain in his stomach.  My little boy Owen, just turned 4 and had severe GI issues, would scream so loud and high, roll his eyes, run non-stop and had a hard time gaining weight.  We recently saw a GI doctor in Texas who is helping us to get to the route of Owen's GI issues.  Before seeing Dr. Krigsman (our GI doc) we saw a DAN doctor who helped us with diet and supplements.  For us it wasn't enough, but if you haven't tried seeing a DAN (Defeat Autism Now Doctor) I would highly recommend it.  Diet can be such a huge problem for our kids, often times food allergies run high for our children, and DAN doc's can help to run tests and see what food allergies they have etc.  Wish I could give you a hug, hope this helps you...

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM

BUMP!

justinsmom841
by Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM
You can get food allergy test to know x sure . , then eliminate those foods
Idont agree taking vitamins and nutrients away if your not sure ...
Because your body needs dif minerals and vitamins...
I'm a trainer and all about fitness , everyone i's different however iagree this kids get gut problems .. Eventually kid will push away what makes him sick iknow x experience
My son i's lactose intolerant however he gets calcium trough brocoli, chese , and other food groups .. He really don't like gluten and neither do I ..
I'get bloated when ido...
I'm getting a n allergy food test myself soon .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinsmom841
by Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM
You can get food allergy test to know x sure . , then eliminate those foods
Idont agree taking vitamins and nutrients away if your not sure ...
Because your body needs dif minerals and vitamins...
I'm a trainer and all about fitness , everyone i's different however iagree this kids get gut problems .. Eventually kid will push away what makes him sick iknow x experience
My son i's lactose intolerant however he gets calcium trough brocoli, chese , and other food groups .. He really don't like gluten and neither do I ..
I'get bloated when ido...
I'm getting a n allergy food test myself soon .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinsmom841
by Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Sorry I type twice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
layh41407
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

My autistic son is also 11. The pp is right.  He is starting to hit that adolescent period.  Often times, we focus so much on the autism, that we forget that they are growing children as well.  Raging hormones affect our children just as they affect 'neurotypical' children as well.  It can just manifest itself a bit differently. 

Stimming can be challenging.  Trying to reduce or eliminate a stim can cause a different stim to take it's place--one that can be more harmful or problematic than the one you just tried to eliminate.  One suggestion is to find an acceptable stim with which to replace that stim.  Or you can find an area in which it is ok for the child to stim.  When the stim starts, try to get him to perform the action you would like to replace or take him to the area in which it ok to perfrom that stim. 

But overall, if this is all relatively new, the answer is--it could be the teen years creeping up on you. 

sarahrose0413
by Member on Feb. 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM

sam has allergies to peanut, pea, soy, milk, wheat, buckwheat, corn, hazelnut, sesame, sorghum, cocnut, and a few others.....only the peanut one is anaphalactic though......his diet is somewhat starchy, but I am working to change that in the form of more proteins, and fruits and veggies.....he eats NO candy and nothing artificial never has actually...I'm pretty picky. I am not to willing to try medication because it has not worked in the past....we have tried inositol, GABA, brightspark, fish oils, probiotics and a few others as well, all for long periods of time...they work for a while, then don't work after about 8 months or so.I am goine to have his allergens retested along with some other bloodwork run, including testosterone levels. He is a very sweet loving huggy kissy child....always has been....but he is also very loud at times and my ears will actually ring for periods of time when he has been excessively screechy....UUGH!!! We live in MN and it's better when he can get outside to burn off some of the energy....My hubby is currently in AZ looking for a house to rent to get out of here....I do travel with him alot just to escape and break up the long winters here, but I have not gone anywhere with him this year...only by myself. He does well with travel....he seems to adjust well to new things as long as there is a mommmy or daddy or PCA's there that he is familiar with.

Mom to Sam, 11..with autism and IDIC15...also LOTS of food allergies..soy, wheat, peanut, corn, milk, buckwheat, pea, hazlenut, sesame, and a few others....

Apple1
by Head Admin on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Quoting sarahrose0413:

sam has allergies to peanut, pea, soy, milk, wheat, buckwheat, corn, hazelnut, sesame, sorghum, cocnut, and a few others.....only the peanut one is anaphalactic though......his diet is somewhat starchy, but I am working to change that in the form of more proteins, and fruits and veggies.....he eats NO candy and nothing artificial never has actually...I'm pretty picky. I am not to willing to try medication because it has not worked in the past....we have tried inositol, GABA, brightspark, fish oils, probiotics and a few others as well, all for long periods of time...they work for a while, then don't work after about 8 months or so.I am goine to have his allergens retested along with some other bloodwork run, including testosterone levels. He is a very sweet loving huggy kissy child....always has been....but he is also very loud at times and my ears will actually ring for periods of time when he has been excessively screechy....UUGH!!! We live in MN and it's better when he can get outside to burn off some of the energy....My hubby is currently in AZ looking for a house to rent to get out of here....I do travel with him alot just to escape and break up the long winters here, but I have not gone anywhere with him this year...only by myself. He does well with travel....he seems to adjust well to new things as long as there is a mommmy or daddy or PCA's there that he is familiar with.

I think changing his diet like you have mentioned to fruits, veggies, and meats is a wonderful idea.  We did the SCD diet with our son Owen before going elemental (formula) which he is on currently.  We had while on the SCD great eye contact, more babbling etc.  There is a website you can go to http://www.pecanbread.com/for information on the SCD.  It also consists of fats that include eggs and avocado.  One thing I learn though is not to make it full of to much protein, which is hard to digest, a balanced SCD is the best way to go.  I wish you lots of luck!  Also, there is a group here on cafemom called the bio-med momma's.  Stacie is the owner of the group and has been doing the SCD diet with her son Will for a couple of years, she has a lot of knowledge :)  Best of luck momma!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)