Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't take the vocal stimming anymore...driving me insane!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 5801 Total Views

First off...we have been dealing with the high picthed vocal stims for about 3 years now, and the only time they completely go away is when he is very very ill...I already have a husband that will NOT come home if our son is still awake at night, and quite frankly, I don't blame him. I have gotten to the point where I wish he would get laryngitis for about a month or so, just to not have to deal with the constant headaches I get from the noise...he sits and smiles while doing all this, so I know he is not hurting or unhappy...it has just gotten out of control at this point and I need some advice on what may help decrease the vocal stims. I have posted videos and so anyone who has looked at them knows he is loud, plus, if he is stimming on the computer or while sitting pulling apart cotton balls or whatnot, he is constantly vocal. I have been giving him a little extra clonidine, but it does not always help. We live in MN too, which does NOT help as he LOVES to be outdoors, but hates all the clothes we have to pile on him to keep him warm. Sorry for the rant...I feel like I can safely gripe about my sons issues on here because you other moms seem to get it.....thank you much for reading and listening, and possibly giving ideas..:)

Mom to Sam, 11..with autism and IDIC15...also LOTS of food allergies..soy, wheat, peanut, corn, milk, buckwheat, pea, hazlenut, sesame, and a few others....

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelaPatton
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM
Have you figured out why he stims? What does he get out of it? Maybe an iPod or something would give him the same stimulation. Then again when my son goes through it, I usually grab the headphones for myself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justgrape723
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM

my son responds to weight. He wears a weighted vest at school. It helps to calm him....A LOT 

there are also weighted belts and blankets. Have you tried weight for him?

some kids also respond well to massage 

mrs.wondergem
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I can totally understand how you feel as we deal with on a pretty regualr basis.  I think that the only thing that I have found that works is distracting myself.  I put on headphones and try to calm myself down....I wish that I had some real words of wisdom for you.....But please just know that you are not alone....

sarahrose0413
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

My husband INSISTS it is in his diet, but I'm not so sure...I was going to try the headphone thing too...I have an extra Ipod I can use just for him. We have tried weighted vests and blankets in the past, but he won't keep them on, His diet consists of gluten free bread, the Udi's white kind....alot of meats..buffalo, turkey, chicken..no juices, no pop...he gets no candy  either, no artificial colors of flavors. He drinks almond milk, and water. We do give him toast with ghee and some raw suger on it in the am, but the total amount of sugar is about 1/4 tsp for both pieces. He is allergic to soy, corn, peas, peanuts, hazlenut, buckwheat, wheat, sesame, sunflower, cocnut, oats, and seems to have some issue with bananas, and plantains...he gets diarrhea everytime he eats them, even though the tests show he is negative. The only thing I can think of is the gluten free bread, and all the starch??? I'm not sure where to even begin to look in his diet...we keep a food journal, but everything is the same...maybe its just his age?? or boredom?? My husband is really on my case to figure it out though..but I can't pinpoint what it is...he can just stay gone until Sam is asleep, I have no issues with that.....but I do feel bad for him when he has worked 12 hours and comes home and wants quiet...it just may not be that way all the time....:(

sarahrose0413
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I do think he LIKES the stimming, and the way it makes his ears feel as he is always rubbing his ears or temples at the same time...sometimes I think he does it just to erk me too though. When I showed the videos to his Dr, sahe said the same thing...he seems to be enjoying himself...but also recommended OT, which we have not done in about 3 years, my husband felt it was useless, so I stopped bringing him. We have also tried AIT..2 times...didn't work...ABA therapy for 1.5 years...worked for 6 months, then he regressed again and was discharged from the program...uugh...we even went out and bought alot of stuff for a sensory room at home, but he only went in it a few times, then was done. I have thought about a vibration board as well, and we have had a swing in the past as well, but he is far too big for it now. I am a bit concerned about my pups too, as he has been going after them, but mainly just to mess with them a bit to get a reaction from one of them....neither has ever bitten Sam, so I'm not that worried that a bite would ever happen...we have had both since they were puppies, and they are used to him. They are both non shedding BTW..he is allergic to the shedding ones that have actual doghair vs human hair like my dogs. Thank you for listening...he is 11, and so some of this just COULD be him getting older, but I have no comparison, so I don't know??

Mom to Sam, 11..with autism and IDIC15...also LOTS of food allergies..soy, wheat, peanut, corn, milk, buckwheat, pea, hazlenut, sesame, and a few others....

ShadowRaven
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Honestly, my ds babbles and verbal stims ALL DAY LONG...I've learned to tune him out lol. Although, from what I've seen in other posts, his volume level is pretty low compared to what it could be. Your husband is going to have to realize that this is life, and he's going to have to get over it instead of choosing not to come home and see his son.

What kind of fruits does he eat besides bananas and plaintains?

ShadowRaven
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Oh, and it might be the oral stimulation that he's seeking. You might look into getting some kind of oral sensory toy that vibrates, we had one like this for ds for a while, except ours was an alligator.

sarahrose0413
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

He has a Z vibe for a while, until we moved, and I lost it...it worked ok...we have also used those little massage pens...with the little vibrating thing on the end..I remove the pen part so he wont hurt himself too. Sam does NOT eat bananas and plantains...but he does love blueberries, apples, raspberries, pears, applepears, and watermelon. he does not seem to have any issues with texture because the kid will eat just about anything I put in front of him...tonight he are yellow sguash and zucchini slices with olive oil and salt that had been roasted in the oven...veggies are harder...he used to eat peas, but he now has an allergy to them. He LOVES almonds and pecans. So my sons stimming isnt that loud???To me he sounds like he is screaming at the top of his little lungs...and it's just so darned high pitched...one thing I am hoping puberty will take care of soon....deepen that voice a little, lol!!

Sithpadawans
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Since your husband has no interaction with your son, how does he know what the problem is? And why would you stop a therapy because your husband didn't see instant results? I really do not understand his hostile attitude towards his own child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahrose0413
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM

We did therapy  for quite a few years before finally just stopping....I think men have a harder  time dealing with the diagnosis...especially when that child is a son.....he had so many plans for him as an infant, when the diagnosis came, they were all shattered...he really never recovered from it IMO...what he did instead is throw himself into work to ensure Sam and I had everything....thats great, but sometimes it would be nice to have him around. I am thinking of getting him back into OT like the Dr said....hopefull it could make a small difference...problem now is finding a therapy center that isn't booked to the hilt...with all the new diagnoses being made it has filled up all the therapy centers near us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)