Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism? Video included...PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 321 Total Views

This is how Austin's face is all the time.  He doesn't focus on anything and if he does it is for a glance at a time.  Also an example of his speech. He is in the orange sweater.  His brother who is 18 months older is in the black shirt.  Austin will be 6 in May.  His dad (my boyfriend) is going to call his school on Monday and have him either tested or try to get the school to convince his mom to get him tested if they school won't/can't test him (his mom is in deniel and doesn't think anything is wrong). And I have permission to post the video.  I don't have much experience with Autism so I'm not sure if thats what it is or if it is ADHD which is what we origionally though...until I started researching autism.  

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mustbeGRACE
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I wonder about seizure activity during those "spaced out" episodes.

If it is something that happens often, I would record it and show it to a pediatrician.

Take the child off of ALL milk products for 5 days to see if that helps with some of the spaciness.

Google high functiong autism/ Aspergers + symptoms.

armygirl16
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

These are his symptoms

Okay this is his behavior:

When he talks to you he doesn't look AT you it seems like he is staring off into space all day.  He is constantly rocking back and forth.  He has gotten somewhat better around other kids but he hits and even had a baseball bat once and hit a kid with it (not hard and he got in a lot of trouble), he can't express what he wants, he hits as a way to express himself.  He NEVER does anything when you ask him to.  Its like he dosn't hear you.  You ask him to put his socks on and hand him his socks and if you are doing somthing else you will find him downstairs playing a video game and his socks are on the floor.  You have to be standing right there telling him over and over to put his socks/shoes on for him to do it.  He has to be constantly told while he is doing somethign for him to do it.  

He has speech problems (like says "bewivia" instead of Olivia).  He is very good at math though.  Better then his 7 year old brother.  His brother and him are 18 months apart but there is a HUGE maturity difference between the two.  Austin seems younger because of how he acts and he prefers to play with 2-3 year olds if he plays with others at all.  He only wants to stay inside and play video games and he doesn't know what to do if he isn't playing games.  You have to force him to go outside and he never wants to.  He doesn't like playing with other kids and much prefers to play alone and could play alone all day if he could.

He is big for his age, people are always suprised when you tell them he is 5, he was in a high back booster in the car but I had to buy him a Frontier85 because he wouldn't stay still in his car seat.  He bounces back and forth and shakes his head and you have to constantly tell him to sit correctly in his seat.

And he also has to be told to go potty.  We have to remind him all day.  He has accidents if we don't.  He will also have accidents if he gets put in time out.  

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

I wonder about seizure activity during those "spaced out" episodes.

If it is something that happens often, I would record it and show it to a pediatrician.

Take the child off of ALL milk products for 5 days to see if that helps with some of the spaciness.

Google high functiong autism/ Aspergers + symptoms.

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 6:25 AM

I would just advise that you get an appointment to take him to a Children's Hospital in a larger town near you.

Ask for their children's behavioral department or go on their website and look around.

Appointments are usually at least 6 months out.

In the meantime, if you can, have him evaluated by occupational therapists and speech therapists who have been working with autism spectrum, and kids in general for a long time.

Therapists who've just graduated are nice people, I'm sure,  but dealing with them can be irksome, as they don't know much. Don't tell them I said so.

This child seems like he's on the spectrum to me.

I'm serious about the milk.

I have a son with Aspergers who does noticeably better when he's not ingesting milk and milk products.

Nutritionally speaking, those nutrients, calcium, Vitamins  D and A must be supplemented however.

Maybe all that bouncing around in the car seat has to do with vestibular issues.

This is weak muscle tone in his core or upper body.

You may want to google about kids with low tone.

Please google seizures, especially absence seizures.

Also, google Central Auditory Processing Disorder or just Auditory Processing Disorder.

Does he have undiagnosed allergies?

I have heard odf these kids improvong with issues with allergies being addressed.

Also, school districts are supposed to be looking for kids who may be having problems, so bring him to the attention of the school district, the special ed teachers at his school, maybe.

I can't believe he hasn't been identified by them yet.

Unfortunately, this may speak to their ineptitude, or lack willingness to expend funds to help kids.

mrs.wondergem
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Well, I am not a Dr. so I can not diagnosis any conditions but as a mother with a child that has Autism and an educator pursuing my degree in Early Elementary Special  Education I can say to me it looks like he is suffering from some developmental issue.  My son also has a spaced out look sometimes and prior to his discrete trial had a lot of difficulty maintaining eye contact.  I think that as a parent your boyfriend should be able to take him to a developmental pediatrician without his ex-wife's consent as long they have shared custody and there is nothing restricting him from doing so in their parenting agreement.  He should also be able to discuss his concerns with the school and have them followed up on.  With the ex not willing to pursue the fact that something could be wrong it is quite possible that someone at the school has already noticed but could not do anything because the mother is not on board.

Good luck to you guys.  I think that he is adorable and I hope that you can determine what the issue is so that he can receive the help that he needs.  He seems like a really sweetie.  good luck

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Has very many Red Flags for the Spectrum, He really needs an evaluation asap. Good Luck Mama. BTW, he seems precious, they both do. Mama Rita

Apple1
by Head Admin on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I agree also that he needs an evaluation as soon as possible.  Both of your children are really cute :)  Best of luck to you!!

justgrape723
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

i SEE HIM ROCKING AND DOING SOME MOUTH MOVEMENTS WITH HIS TOUNGUE THAT MY ASPIE SON DOES (CRAP SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS) 

I would have him checked out ASAP If not for Autism then some other development issue

G/L

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)