Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PDD-nos no longer a diagnosis??? piog ***UPDATED***

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 962 Total Views

My daughter's school just told me I have to have my daughter evaluated again cause PDD-nos is no longer a diagnosis. She's had this diagnosis for 6 yrs. Why would they change it now???

Anyone else hear this? What will they be diagnosed with now? Grrr!

UPDATE

Ok so the center called me back and explained to me what is going on and why the school may have said this. It has to do with the link I posted a couple of replies back. Evidently it's been proposed for the DSM-V that will be coming out in 2012-2013 sometime that PDD-nos and Aspergers will no longer have a seperate dx from Autism disorder. However the school is jumping the gun on this issue and confusing parents who were never made of aware of this proposed change before hand. As of now PDD-nos and Aspergers is still a dx and they will continue to dx children with these disorders until the official change has been made to the DSM. 

So for all of you other mothers like myself just please be aware ... while  this change is still just a "Propsed" change ... be prepared. Who knows what this could mean for our children and the services they recieve or will be able to recieve in the future.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eva1973
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM

The school districts are always pulling this type of crap from what I hear.  

melissarose72
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM

(sorry if this is vague, something I remember reading, but details escape me)....but wasn't whomever narrowing it down, so it will eventually all be dx as "autism"?

Was PDD NOS the dx from your dr? Our dr-team put down ASD, but told us PDD NOS (that was a couple years ago).

twins0506
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

my boys still have pdd-nos as their diagnosis. they're still in EI so i guess i'll see what happens later on. thanks for the heads up! and good luck with you and your daughter!

autumnsmommy02
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM

yes pdd-nos was the official dx from the dr. and psych.  She was dx'd in 2005.

Quoting melissarose72:

(sorry if this is vague, something I remember reading, but details escape me)....but wasn't whomever narrowing it down, so it will eventually all be dx as "autism"?

Was PDD NOS the dx from your dr? Our dr-team put down ASD, but told us PDD NOS (that was a couple years ago).

roses4me777
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Yes, our Therapist was telling us, something about the new dsmv? A new way of classification. Don't remember details, I thought it wasn't suppose to happen till 2012?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autumnsmommy02
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Well, I'm waiting for a call back from the center where my dd was dx'd to find out what the deal is. The woman I did talk to though said PDD-NOS is still a diagnosis and isn't sure why the school told me that but she sent me to a nurses line and had me leave a message. Guess we'll see what they say. 

Quoting Eva1973:

The school districts are always pulling this type of crap from what I hear.  

autumnsmommy02
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM

This is what I found online while searching today ...

Asperger’s, PDD-NOS may no longer receive separate diagnoses in DSM-V

Recently, the American Psychiatric Association released some preliminary draft changes to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) that may affect those diagnosed on the autism spectrum. There are several significant changes proposed that are now posted for public view, including: Asperger’s Syndrome and Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) would both be subsumed into the Autistic Disorder category, meaning that they would no longer be considered a separate diagnosis from autism, and the inclusion of potential co-morbidities with ADHD and other medical conditions.

The Autism Society is currently investigating the implications this change could have for the service and support systems currently in place for those with autism spectrum disorders. We will also be holding a town hall meeting at the Autism Society’s National Conference on Autism Spectrum Disorders in Dallas July 7-102010 (learn more about the conference or register at www.autism-society.org/conference). You can also give your feedback on the changes at the Web site www.DSM5.org – look for the diagnoses on the autism spectrum under “Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence.”

These changes are not yet official – they are proposed for the update to the manual, which is expected to be published in May2013. Whatever changes do go into effect surrounding autism spectrum disorders, the Autism Society will continue to work as we have always done to improve the lives of people across the entire spectrum of autism.

http://peterhbrown.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/aspergers-pdd-nos-may-no-longer-receive-separate-diagnoses-in-dsm-v/

Kattx5
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

My son was PDD and has a autism/aspergers diagnosis now. Good luck the school will try and pull crap like this. Luckily I have an awesome school and teachers.

spidermansmom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM
My ds was dxed in april of 2010 and his dx is pdd nos. he is in school and they accepted it. Maybe it varies by state but I will give this post a bump to see if we can get more answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spidermansmom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)