Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child been bullied?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 489 Total Views

Has your child with autism been the victim of bullying?  I"m worried about this happening to my son in the future.  My school district only does inclusion, so he'll be with "normal" kids, ha, ha.  And from what I've heard of normal kids, they are VERY mean.  Please share your experiences and your views on this topic.  Thanks :)

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.wondergem
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:41 AM

I am very interested in this as well since next year they want to put Jonah in a integrated classroom for his final year of preschool.  On one hand I am very excited about the idea that he is ready to do that. (We have been working really hard to get him to that point) But on the other hand, I want him to be happy and have friends...and I am not sure what I would do if kids were picking on him.  We went to the Play All Day here and some of the kids were calling him weird and telling him to go away.....Broke my heart. 

Eva1973
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Yep, other kids (2, 3, and 4 yr olds!) also call my son weird, mimic him, and tell him to get away.  So I can only imagine what he's in for when he starts school.  I'm actually afraid to send him to that early pre-k that sometimes offered.   

Quoting mrs.wondergem:

I am very interested in this as well since next year they want to put Jonah in a integrated classroom for his final year of preschool.  On one hand I am very excited about the idea that he is ready to do that. (We have been working really hard to get him to that point) But on the other hand, I want him to be happy and have friends...and I am not sure what I would do if kids were picking on him.  We went to the Play All Day here and some of the kids were calling him weird and telling him to go away.....Broke my heart. 

Eva1973
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:08 PM

bump

Eva1973
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM

bump

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Mar. 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Yes my Kyle was doing great in School ,when he went into the high school setting is when he got harmed . My worst fear the one thing i most worried about happened ..It was written in the I .E.P to never let him go into the restroom without an aid ...... Guess what they did ..... to make a long story short by a quote regular student on the campus he was punched in the stomach . The schools calls me and ask me if i am having problems at home with Kyle ( WHAT ) TO KEEP THIS SIMPLE I Could go on and on about what happened in my first Journal read it /it will tell you all about what happened to my Kyle .. Always have it written in the I .e.ps to never let your child go anywhere alone if they are not in a special school or with students who are not disabled .. My heart was broke . I mourn the loss of him not even wanting to go out during the weekdays still to this day due to what happened to him .. It was horrible . thats all i am going to say if you want to read more about what happened its in my Journal . But yes my son was very harmed at school . He is now at home with me for the first time since he was 3 ........... Socially he was doing great ......... He was striving in all areas' and there lack of not following what they should have done has ruined my son forever .. He was getting ready to get into the work program , loved the outings loved school .......... wha la ......... they blew it I carry the quilt which i shouldn't i did ever possiable followed that motherly instinct alway follow your gut K  .......... be careful ....... always make sure there is a buddy or a one on one aid with your child at all times' ........ Kyle is doing great at home ...... I just miss him going out bowling , to school , he is so afraid of people now ...... It a long story . took all i had to get him where he was and the school blew it .......... It does happen and they knew he couldn't tell me but the bruse on his stomach the next day they didn't have much more lie's they could have said .......... Put it this way ........ This whole town i live in Knows about what happened to my son , the Ed County office of Education loves my Kyle and still comes over to see how he is doing ........... talk about the worst hing that could happen when all my hopes and dreams and hard work all of those years ......... went to waste well can't say that due to he is learning so many life's skill's ...... after that it was all down hill ........... so sad ....... I pray this never happens to another child ...... If it does the Client Right Advocate Attorney will be there to help you ............ B.T.W Due to me working with them i have ever state the phone number's who you all can call if you ever need anything that you feel your child isn't getting the proper education . WE HAVE SO MANY WRIGHTS .. JUST contact me i would be happy to message any of you who might be up against the school's ........... The advocate gave me the number's for all of you moms so I could be of help if anyone ever needed them . hugs and loves ..  

mrs.wondergem
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Thank you Momma for sharing that story. I am so sorry that Kyle had to go through that.  I am really kinda nervous for Jonah to do integrated class next year but I feel that he is ready for that expereince.  I just want to make sure that the school keeps him safe and he is not being picked on by the other kids.  I will have to do more checking before I decide either way. 

Eva1973
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM

That's atrocious and very frightening.  Are you sueing the school district?  I'd certainly look into it.

Quoting MommyJanice44:

Yes my Kyle was doing great in School ,when he went into the high school setting is when he got harmed . My worst fear the one thing i most worried about happened ..It was written in the I .E.P to never let him go into the restroom without an aid ...... Guess what they did ..... to make a long story short by a quote regular student on the campus he was punched in the stomach . The schools calls me and ask me if i am having problems at home with Kyle ( WHAT ) TO KEEP THIS SIMPLE I Could go on and on about what happened in my first Journal read it /it will tell you all about what happened to my Kyle .. Always have it written in the I .e.ps to never let your child go anywhere alone if they are not in a special school or with students who are not disabled .. My heart was broke . I mourn the loss of him not even wanting to go out during the weekdays still to this day due to what happened to him .. It was horrible . thats all i am going to say if you want to read more about what happened its in my Journal . But yes my son was very harmed at school . He is now at home with me for the first time since he was 3 ........... Socially he was doing great ......... He was striving in all areas' and there lack of not following what they should have done has ruined my son forever .. He was getting ready to get into the work program , loved the outings loved school .......... wha la ......... they blew it I carry the quilt which i shouldn't i did ever possiable followed that motherly instinct alway follow your gut K  .......... be careful ....... always make sure there is a buddy or a one on one aid with your child at all times' ........ Kyle is doing great at home ...... I just miss him going out bowling , to school , he is so afraid of people now ...... It a long story . took all i had to get him where he was and the school blew it .......... It does happen and they knew he couldn't tell me but the bruse on his stomach the next day they didn't have much more lie's they could have said .......... Put it this way ........ This whole town i live in Knows about what happened to my son , the Ed County office of Education loves my Kyle and still comes over to see how he is doing ........... talk about the worst hing that could happen when all my hopes and dreams and hard work all of those years ......... went to waste well can't say that due to he is learning so many life's skill's ...... after that it was all down hill ........... so sad ....... I pray this never happens to another child ...... If it does the Client Right Advocate Attorney will be there to help you ............ B.T.W Due to me working with them i have ever state the phone number's who you all can call if you ever need anything that you feel your child isn't getting the proper education . WE HAVE SO MANY WRIGHTS .. JUST contact me i would be happy to message any of you who might be up against the school's ........... The advocate gave me the number's for all of you moms so I could be of help if anyone ever needed them . hugs and loves ..  

Eva1973
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM

bump

briansmom123
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Yes, My sweet autistic son was bullied. Called names, left out , pushed and you name it. I wanted him in a seperate classroom but the school was sure that would be wrong for him. Long story short  he is now 15 and is homeschooled, I watched him be bulled and went to meeting after meeting and talked until I was blue in the face and then I said no more I will home school him, he happy and safe now and you know what he is getting a better eduacation than he was at the publc school, but that is another post.   I think our specail kids would be better in a inclosed classroom where they can be protected.  

mrs.wondergem
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

My biggest fear is that he will regress due to bullying. He is doing so good...he has already met all of his IEP goals for next year.  But I would be broken hearted if putting him in a integrated classroom caused him to regress even a little bit.....now I am more concerned than ever!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)