Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SSI application call tomorrow...Updated 5-27

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

Ok, so I finally called in and set up a call to apply for benefits for dd. The last time I called in to get info they told me that if I own more than 1 vehicle and either are worth over $3000 they would automatically deny us. At the time we had my SUV and my husband had his work truck. The work truck is worth about $5000. Mine is worth closer to $10,000. The work truck was purchased just to work out of as dh is a satellite installer and needs it to work in the field, he's considered self employed so a work truck is not provided. Now he has been moved into the office and a supervisor and is normally able to use the bosses truck if he needs to go into the field for anything. We have a loan on the truck and he had a tech that needed a truck in order to work. The tech does not have good enough credit to get a loan to purchase it so we still have the truck in our name but he covers the loan and insurance (he is listed as a driver on our policy). Their boss takes these payments directly so we have plenty of paperwork to back up the fact that he is paying the loan and the truck is in his possession.

Basically I'm trying to decide if it would be best to go ahead and explain the truck loan situation and hope they don't deny us because they want to go ahead and list it as an asset or if I just want to go with the reason it was originally purchased and hope they will excuse it as work related needs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Well, we have gone through the process and we have been approved!! I was very surprised by how simple it ended up being. They asked for our loan papers on the vehicles to show what we owe and then they checked what the book for to see if we have any equity, we only have a little equity in our SUV so we qualified. We received the information that we were approved Wednesday of last week but the paperwork didn't specify when we would receive our first check or how much we would be receiving. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to issue the 1st payment? I know it sounds like I'm rushing but we have to redo her room ASAP. She peals the drywall paper off...seriously removed the paper outside off the drywall to the point where the tape on the seams is exposed. She also has been potty training the last month and has had multiple potty accidents on her floor and she currently has carpet. I do clean it obviously but I never feel like its really out of carpet so her room is grossing me out right now. I don't have the money to re-wall and floor her carpet until her SSI payments come through. Thanks!!

I'm the mother of 4 great kids. 3 DD's ages 10, 8 and 5 (our 5 year old is our autistic princess) and 14 month old DS

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
RedMomma4
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Bump

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I would go to the appointment, take all your paperwork.  Explain the need for the truck, and of course, your child needs transportation.  Every state varies in guidelines.....so you just have to try.....and if you get denied.........APPEAL, APPEAL, APPEAL!  Today's economy makes it tuff enough on families with a child on the spectrum.  I wish you the best of luck.  Please keep us posted on how things went!  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
RedMomma4
by on May. 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM

bump with update

JacobsLadder1
by New Member on May. 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Took about a month after I got the approval letter for me to get a letter explaining how much and that they were back dating it until the day I applied on his behalf.  So you will get however much per month plus in a lump the amount for the previous months that you applied.  Along with ssi my son is on straight medicaid.  It can be good or bad.  For me its good because they will pay for anything.  I take him to sensory therapy twice a week-one is aqua therapy and then have a speech pathologist come to the house twice a week.  As long as you work within the rules of medicaid you are good.  They will even provide transportation to and from doctors visits. 

letstalk747
by on May. 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM

good for you guys

RedMomma4
by on May. 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM
I guess I have about 2 weeks then. My case worker does not give much info so I never know what to expect but I'm guessing that's normal.

Quoting JacobsLadder1:

Took about a month after I got the approval letter for me to get a letter explaining how much and that they were back dating it until the day I applied on his behalf.  So you will get however much per month plus in a lump the amount for the previous months that you applied.  Along with ssi my son is on straight medicaid.  It can be good or bad.  For me its good because they will pay for anything.  I take him to sensory therapy twice a week-one is aqua therapy and then have a speech pathologist come to the house twice a week.  As long as you work within the rules of medicaid you are good.  They will even provide transportation to and from doctors visits. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beth100
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Always just go in to apply!  It is kinda like calling a store and asking if they are hiring.....If you want the job, they figure you will come in apply for it.  Besides, there is a lot more entailed the the request for SSI.  And of course, it does vary by state.  But your child may qualify for SSD, alone, which would still bring in some money.  Get your documentation and just go.......And just so you know.......you will definately be turned down the first time you apply.  You then appeal that decision.........and if necessary do a third appeal with a pro-bono attorney.  They REALLY need to know you are serious.  We had to hire a pro-bono attorney.  And then it was over in a snap.  So hold onto your faith and go get that kid some money!  Beth100

toadz4
by Member on May. 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I don't know how long a process it is for different states but here in GA I have applied back in Jan of 2010 got denied appealed and got a lawyer went to court Feb 2011 got denied again and appealing again, but my lawyer said if we had won after the court date it would take about 2 months to get it, so  I am still in the process, been doing this for years unsuccessfully and finally am making headway, I am changing his Dr because that was a huge part of the denial!!!

Beth100
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I am so happy to hear that you got the SSI and medicaid.  It is never easy with an ASD child, but the money will help. 

Congrats!  Beth100

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)