Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question: Thing not to do or say to mother of child with autism

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

confusedHello everyone. I haven't been on in quite awhile, stayin' busy.

I was looking for a post I saw awhile, a long while ago and can't find it. It's something like "things you shouldn't do or say to parent of child with autism", it included something about wal-mart or being in the store and saying "he doesn't look autistic".  Can anyone help. Thanks, I loved it and wanted to read it again. Hope evryone is doing well.  Thanks again for your help!!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JacobsMommy705
by Member on Apr. 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM

From the website stark raving mad mommy (link at the bottom)

Top Ten Things You Should (and Shouldn't) Say to The Parent of an Autistic Child

If you're the parent or caregiver of a child on the autism spectrum, Autism Awareness Month is not for you.  You are already aware of autism.  Like, really, really aware.  Aware that you need another cup of coffee, a Xanax, and possibly an advanced degee in Education Law.

Autism Awareness Month is for everyone else.  To help out, here's my Top Ten Things You Should (and Shouldn't) Say to The Parent of an Autistic Child.

10. DON'T SAY: "Wow, your son is great at math.  He's just like Rain Man."

DO SAY:  "Wow, your son is great at math."

9. DON'T SAY: "He should probably be in a special class, so other kids won't make fun of him."

DO SAY:  "We should probably be teaching our children more empathy."

8. DON'T SAY:  "You should try giving your kid more discipline."

DO SAY: "You should try these brownies I made for you."

7. DON'T SAY: "Wow, your kids all seem to have a lot of problems.  Have you ever heard of Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome?"

DO SAY: "Wow, you're really on top of things for your kids.  It must be hard, but it seems like you're doing a great job."

6. DON'T SAY:  "You should change your child to an astronomically expensive, all-organic, gluten-free, casein-free diet of locally-grown organic broccoli and imported, cruelty-free snake oil capsules."

DO SAY:  "Please sit down and rest while I make you some bacon-topped meatloaf and pour you a glass of wine."

5.  DON'T SAY: "I think autism is over-diagnosed these days. They're handing that label out like Mardi Gras beads."

DO SAY: "I am alarmed by studies that show that autism spectrum disorders are actually under-diagnosed in girls and minorities.  Excuse me while I 
e-mail my legislator about my desire that he or she increase the fundng for autism research and education."

4. DON'T SAY: "Isn't he getting a little big for diapers?"

DO SAY: "Here, I picked up this case of diapers and some extra Febreze for you while I was at the store."

3.  DON'T SAY: "I wish my kid was getting free extra help in school like that."

DO SAY: "I wish I had remembered to mention to my legislator my desire that he or she stop slashing the budget for special eduation services like they're freaking Zorro or something.  Excuse me while I go 
send another email."

2.  DON'T SAY: "You look exhausted."

DO SAY: "How about if I play Lego Star Wars with your kids for the next four hours while you take a nap?"

1.  DON'T SAY: "He's fine / it's no big deal / he'll grow out of it / all kids are like that."

DO SAY: "It's so great that you got the diagnosis, even though he's obviously awesomesauce exactly the way he is."

http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com/2011/04/top-ten-things-you-should-and-shouldnt.html?spref=fb
***DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS IT... BUT SOMEONE JUST SENT THIS TO ME YESTERDAY***********************************
girltwin
by Member on Apr. 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM

i absolutey love this. i actually had people say some of those things to me. One person even said "oh don't worry, when he's 15 you won't even know he has this thing anymore". I would rather you just not say anything rather trying to make me feel worse. i know that they don't know any better and i just smile and nod.  I'm printing this out and giving it to my whole family for their fridge.

Mandi04967
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I have had someone in my husbands family describe some issues she was having with her daughter and she said "its not as bad as what your son is doing". That seriously offended me. People just dont know unless they walk in your shoes... 

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Apr. 19, 2011 at 5:06 AM

YAH !! Someone found it for you .......... I love it ........ Don't think i have ever read this one ... AWESOME ........ Isn't this just about the truth ... 

MamaRita
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Love this, thanks for posting!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)