Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work/School

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

Just wondering do other parents of autistic children only have one parent working? I have an autistic daughter who is 7, & twin boys who just turned 4. I need to be able to go back to school or work once my sons are in school and all my kids will be in school. But I don't see how I will be able to. I have to be at home with my daughter during the summer. What kind of job would I be able to take the whole summer off? I can't send her to a daycare because all the ones in my area have straight up told me that they would take her, but they don't have any experience to deal with an autistic child. She doesn't sleep very much at night anymore & I'm worried if I were to go back to school that I would be too tired from staying up with her to go, or to pass a class. My husband is the only one who works right now, and we are not in a good financial position. Does anyone have any advice for both parents to be able to work & still manage a difficult autistic child who doesn't sleep & twin boys??? I seriously need help!! Thank you in advance for any responses, they will be much appreciated. 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momof3_dll
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM
The only thing I can think of is working at a school where you'd have summers off. Like working as a lunch lady or even working bus routes. As far as school goes, depending on what you would like to do, you can take online courses. I did this when my youngest was a baby and I was working almost full time as well. You can take as many or as few courses you'd like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM
I tried going to school when DD stared kindergarten. Between the homework and taking care of her the housework was really getting neglected. I think she was too a bit. I decided after the winter quarter to stop school and stay home with my princess. We've been a one income family since late 07. There's no reason for us to suddenly need more income just because the kids are in school. Now with the new baby on the way I won't be looking for work anytime soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinld2005
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

erinld2005
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Financially we do need more income. Otherwise I would be fine staying at home. :) 

tanhyeee
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM
Working at a school with specials needs is ideal. I have two autistic sons and my hubby only works. I'd like to go back and the best thing is to work at a school. It will help in two ways 1. You'll be near your child and on same schedule 2. At the rate autism is growing you get experience you have a job for life!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinld2005
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM

That is a really good idea :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)