Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone explain this?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 609 Total Views

I have finally found what helps my DS sleep through the night. I am so hoping this continues to work. He has slept 3 nights in a row so far w/o getting up. He sleeps on an air mattress in the dining room w/ the television in the living room (all open space) on. I could not get him to sleep all night at all in his room. You would think with all that goes on in his head all day that he would like silence at bedtime. I thought maybe the air conditioning unit (on the other side of his bedroom wall) was keeping him up and tried to move the bed around and that didn't help. We tried even tried melatonin and that that didn't help. He would get up 98 % of the time to come get in the bed or couch with us :( I am so happy, but still don't like that he is not in his room. I have moved his younger brother in his room now. Since he seeked out someone to sleep with him, I am wondering how the 2 of them would sleep together. My DS has a full size in his room. So what are your thoughts? Are you having troubles getting your child/children to sleep through the night? Thanks for listening :)

Angie aka homemommie

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PDDson
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM

quietI had years of my son screaming, locked in his room (he was a master at climbing out of his crib) then finding him asleep on the floor in front of the door in the a.m.   (Door locked because he would leave the house, try to put the keys in the car ignition, sprayed WD-40 all over the garage, etc).

Gave up & let him sleep with me mainly because his seizures started around age 4.  Next he would only sleep on a cot in my room for about 6 months.

Then suddenly, his room & his bed was THE place to be.  Looking back, I could've saved myself alot of worry & frustration if I'd just relaxed & accepted what he needed.  Don't know if this is the story with your child, but I'd be doing the "Gopher Happy Dance" for a full night's sleep under almost any circumstances.

You know, this "looking back" thing that we OLDER parents can do is really only instructive to us.  You've got to go with your gut.  Good luck!

MommyJanice44
by Head Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Quoting PDDson:

quietI had years of my son screaming, locked in his room (he was a master at climbing out of his crib) then finding him asleep on the floor in front of the door in the a.m.   (Door locked because he would leave the house, try to put the keys in the car ignition, sprayed WD-40 all over the garage, etc).

Gave up & let him sleep with me mainly because his seizures started around age 4.  Next he would only sleep on a cot in my room for about 6 months.

Then suddenly, his room & his bed was THE place to be.  Looking back, I could've saved myself alot of worry & frustration if I'd just relaxed & accepted what he needed.  Don't know if this is the story with your child, but I'd be doing the "Gopher Happy Dance" for a full night's sleep under almost any circumstances.

You know, this "looking back" thing that we OLDER parents can do is really only instructive to us.  You've got to go with your gut.  Good luck!

I agree when looking back on how Kyle didn't sleep all the nights that I would just pat him on the back for HOURS to get him to fall asleep , PLUS THE WORRING so much about it all and the future with him how he was going to sleep when he grew up , I would put a lot of blankets over him to make him feel more secure , back then just did what worked . Did what worked with what i knew .. My son is now sleeping through out the nights , took many years for him / us to get this point .. Did try the fan to with the sound of it , trial and error what is working for you now just keep it up .. Somehow the future does take care of its' self so please don't worry your self so on if he will sleep with his brother , the different stages they go through in life are amazing ......... l have always agreed with the concept of following your gut ............. We moms always no in are hearts what will work and what won't again trial and error .. keep doing what works for now . let the future take care of itself and it will and does always ....... GOOD LUCK MOMMA ............

simplyme277
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

My son is 13 years old. On and off I have acheived his sleeping independently with is dog in his room. Usually I would need to lay with him till he falls asleep. Why do you think this is? He tells me it is because he gets lonely. Since he was an infant to lay him down or get him to sleep independently has been a struggle. I have always worried he doesn't feel secure enough or somehow I am not working with him...we have tried everything, lights, soothing music, arranging the room, a fan, time limits on "lay with him" time, reading and settle down time. Pretty much we have our days when he sleeps on the couches when his Dad is home on the weekends (started a new job in April) or sleeps with me. It all works peacefully and he has always been this way so I know it isn't his fathers abscence with is new job. Any ideas why?

Apple1
by Head Admin on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Quoting simplyme277:

My son is 13 years old. On and off I have acheived his sleeping independently with is dog in his room. Usually I would need to lay with him till he falls asleep. Why do you think this is? He tells me it is because he gets lonely. Since he was an infant to lay him down or get him to sleep independently has been a struggle. I have always worried he doesn't feel secure enough or somehow I am not working with him...we have tried everything, lights, soothing music, arranging the room, a fan, time limits on "lay with him" time, reading and settle down time. Pretty much we have our days when he sleeps on the couches when his Dad is home on the weekends (started a new job in April) or sleeps with me. It all works peacefully and he has always been this way so I know it isn't his fathers abscence with is new job. Any ideas why?

Sounds like he is lonely....and maybe just got used to sleeping with someone else or having someone next to him.  Does he have any favorite stuffed animals?  That may work also.  Could just be that he feels more comfortable and at rest with someone next to him.

3plus3equals5
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

My 16 year old son has Sensory Processing Disorder and anxiety. When he was 3 or 4, I was finally able to get him to fall asleep and sleep through the night by letting him watch videos in bed. I realized later that he needed the videos to block out the night sounds that worried him. Eventually he weaned himself off the videos (and nightlight) and has been an excellent sleeper for several years. He does still like to have a fan in his room for white noise, and because he's always hot

homemommie
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I find this all very fascinating. It has been #5 and both of my boys have stayed in their "beds" and are sleeping through the night :)

Apple1
by Head Admin on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Quoting homemommie:

Thank you all for your comments. I find this all very fascinating. It has been #5 and both of my boys have stayed in their "beds" and are sleeping through the night :)

Glad to hear your boys are sleeping through the night!  (((HUGS)))

onemoonamission
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM

The tv may be blocking out other sounds that are more distressing for him. My son is sensitive to noise and I have seen him sit in front of the tv turning it up. I was so perplexed, I had to ask his OT about it and that is what she said. It made so much sense to me then. My son sleeps ok and I say, whatever it takes to help them sleep.....who cares if it isn't traditional! Good luck with the continued sleep :)

Beth100
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Kids like ours are always a puzzle!  Maybe he felt a bit claustrophobic in his room?  I say, whatever works.......go with it.  He may change down the road, who knows.  Is your son verbal, can he tell you why?   But, what does it matter as long as he is getting rest and you are too!!  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
Gemini5
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM

My son insists on sleeping in the living room with the t.v. on in a recliner chair and sometimes wants me to squish in next to him-or we sleep on the couch.Melatonin works to get him to sleep but staying asleep is another story about 4 nights per month I am up all night long then all the next day with him while he also tries to be as loud and destructive as possible to wake the neighborhood up-when he suceeds most times he then plays quietly on his own at this point,lol.. Wish that I could help you but I'm in the exact same boat as you-hugz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)