Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a Social Story about going to the hospital for surgery

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:44 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 2844 Total Views

We will be traveling to Children's Hospital tomorrow for an appointment with a pediatric ENT.  Son developed a growth on his neck about where his Adam's apple would be if he were more than nine.  Doctors think it is an infection in a duct through which his thyroid descended in infancy that should have closed off but didn't.  The diagnosis is better than I had hoped, but could require a minor surgical procedure to close off the duct.  If surgery is required, I'd like to have a social story ready to go.  I will take a camera to the appointment tomorrow and talk to the Dr. and Nurses about what to expect and what he should know about.  Has anyone written or used a social story about hospitals and/or surgery that you would be willing to share?  He also had a first seizure 10 days ago - we will be seeing a neurologist about that if a couple of weeks and will most likely go through an EEG.  Any help or advice is appreciated :0)  Thank You!

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KimberlyK
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM

We're back and there will be surgery.  I see I have 5 views and no replys so I think that means I should write the story and share it with all of you :0)  I'll see what I can come up with!

Unicorn1110
by Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

When my son went to get his tonsils out Sesame Street  used to have a book out. Bearstein Bears might also. Check with your sons school or local library that might have more updated books or titles. And good luck.

momof3_dll
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

When I write my social stories, I try to keep it simple as possible and have realistic pictures.  My son is almost 5 and seeing real people in pictures is more effective than a cartoon type picture. 

I usually start it out with, "Today I am going to the _____ (insert picture of the clinic/wherever you're going to)"  Then I say, "I will sit calmly in the waiting area (insert pic).  A nurse/dr (pic) will call my name and my family and I will go with the nurse/dr." 

With your situation you'll want to include the going to sleep process for surgery and recovery.  Try to keep it pretty concrete. I wouldn't include what actually happens during the surgery unless he's awake for it.  It'll create less anxiety about it...he wouldn't remember a thing anyways since he's asleep. 

Hope this helps out some.  Good luck with everything :)

KimberlyK
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Thanks ladies :0),

I checked with the hospital's autism clinic and they don't have anything like this prepared.  So dd and I are going to try and get a tour of the facility, talk to the doc and nurses about the proceedure and what to expect, and take a lot of picture for our own social story - we will share when it is done!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)