Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone out there have any experience with Abilify to ease symptoms of irritability in their child on the spectrum?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1160 Total Views

Risperdal and Abilify are approved by the FDA for use with children to ease symptoms of irritability related to autism spectrum disorders (such as aggression, tantrums, rapidly changing moods, self-injurious behaviora, etc.).  I have heard a lot from members on here about Risperdal, but have not heard from anyone about the effectiveness of Abilify.  Anyone out there with experience with Abilify?  Was it helpful? If yes or no, why?  FYI, my 6-year old daughter with Aspergers is working closely with professionals to deal with the difficult behaviors.  Just wondering about experiences with Abilify as a part of the whole treatment plan.  Thanks!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briansmom123
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:29 AM

My son is 15 and takes 5 medications, He has adhd, autism and bipolar.  He can be aggressive and have  very large meltdowns,  He takes ritalian and abilify along wIth prozac and seraquel. We have recently seem to hit a good balance and his behaviors have leveled out.   When he added the abilify he was very angry and his mood was unstable.   The abilify seems to help with pared with other antidepresants.  I think that when used with a whole treatment plan that it can be very helpful.  We have had some trouble with restlesnnes, a feeling something crawly on the skin,  with a small adjustment  that went away.   I have learned that when using meds with kids that it is better to take a number of them at a small dose than 1 or 2 at a higher dose, it does reduce the overall sideeffects.   Good luck.

RDiaz123
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 7:59 AM
No experience here but I am looking into the drug for my son. The FDA has apparently approved its use for children on the spectrum. Also...in my area a well known psychiatrist is doing a clinical trial with it. I have to admit it seems promising.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaraEllen
by Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! 

LoriLynn686
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM

My oldest daughter has Aspergers, ADHD & Anxiety. She has been on Paxil for about 5 yrs. now. We added Abilify to her medicine & it helped  her but not as much as concerta for her ADHD. We also tried the Risperdal & I didn't like it, it made her so out of it; like she was in another world.  Abilify did help her more than Risperdal!! Good Luck!!

LoriLynn686 AKA Lori

A part-time working mom of 4 kids ages 13 1/2, 12, 8 & 6 2 diagnosed with Aspergers & one not diagnosed with Aspergers yet. I am here if you ever need someone to talk to.

KaraEllen
by Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Thanks so much for sharing!

HaydenISmyHERO
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

my son has autism and was taking abilify to releive some of his aggresion and to help adjust to things, I admitt it did work but one huge downfall... he went from a size 6 slim to a size 12 husky..ughh so we finally took him off and are tryi8ng geodon. And  he was on a low fat diet as well with excercise added to it but he couldnt loose it. My son is 9 and weighs a hefty 100 pds. So im my own thought is that can bring more health problems than do him good. Good luck and I wish you the best!!

KaraEllen
by Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Thank you for your reply!  Everyone has been so helpful!!!

mybobby
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

My son is on Zoloft and Respidel...it has helped him but you need to watch the weight gain, he eats all the time.  We have started he is not allowed to drink anything with calories except skim milk...he is a big drinker.  This has helped with the weight gain.  We also have him on a wheat free diet and his meltdowns have stopped completely.    He is not completely gluetin free just no wheat.    Hope this helps.

KaraEllen
by Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Thank you! 

MAXEVE
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM

My daughter is on a half pill of the lowest dose of Zoloft.  She started taking half of lowest dose of Abilify.  She had a great week at school last week, but has been an emotional mess this weekend...the worst I have ever seen her....I'm thinking it's the Abilify (not Zoloft...because she has been on Zoloft since summer).  I think I will pull her off Abilify...this is our first experience with a mood stabilizer.  My dd is 8 and is pdd-nos.  She just started at a new school this year...I'm getting extremly frustrated.  I'm sick of the meds...nothing is perfect!!! I am beginning to question the meds again for like the tenth time...and feel like pulling her off both.  I'm sorry to be so negative, but as you know meds work completely different from person to person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)