Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice on afterschool programs

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 323 Total Views

Hello my name is Alona I have a 4 year old that is that has autism, my son Isaiah goes to a public pre-school for special education children. Well, my question is, do you guys think it would be alright for my son to atten an A+ Program, after school program. It looks like I would have to go back to work. Been looking for a job.. My 4 year old son has a really bad problem with his speech and expressing himself, on top of that he is still not potty train! =( It's just so hard right now. I don't know how would he react in a afterschool program especially when he is not potty train yet? Any advice would be great.

giving mom gift

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lilkiddos
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM

doesn't hurt to try :) he may suprsie you!!!

PDDson
by Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I sent my son to a "regular" daycare when he was 3 & 4.  I went to interview them & told them all about my son's disability.  I think I was blessed beyond measure - looking back now - because they accepted him just as he was.  And they were wonderful with him. 

He was in the class below his age (at 3 yrs, in with the 2 yr olds) but they taught him so much.  Loved him, potty trained him,it really helped his social skills.  It was just a wonderful experience.

Over the years he went to several different "summer camps" & they were all great with him. 

Ask his teachers & the staff of the after-school program.  Inclusion is supposed to be mandated now.  If it isn't going well, your child will let you know.  & talk alot with the staff so they feel ok addressing problems with you as they come up.

I think including our kids with "typically developing" kids is really good for them - especially when they are little.  Good luck.

cherrie123
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Yes,get him officialy diagnosed,and that will open doors to allot of great programs,they are out there,and nami is a great resource they help you with many things,and finding solutions to any question you may have about any help you need for your child,for young children there are many programs,you have to knock on doors,but they are there,even not potty trained,my son took along time with it,when stressed we have acidents,so contact your local nami they are a great resource,and get your child diagnosed it dose help...
extremelibrary
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You could make an appointment to visit the childcare center he would attend to see if it is a right fit for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)